Apple iBook laptop HOT

Started by Lazybones, May 30, 2006, 11:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://wcco.com/consumer/local_story_148150249.html

QuoteHeat from the laptop, which was lying on the floor, had started melting the carpet. The Browns quickly carried it outside.

Dave Brown grabbed his camera. His pictures show flames shooting from the lower right hand corner of the laptop. The area around the lower right side is blackened immediately.

More pictures show the laptop continuing to burn, eventually causing large flames to shoot out of it. Eventually, the laptop is melted to the Browns' patio.

WOW :-[

Melbosa

Those photos are insane... remind me to pick up one of those next time I go camping... save me the hassle of starting a fire, and can watch a bit of a DVD before it goes up.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tonnica

Man, those iBooks are nice looking lighters! :P

1) Place iBook on top of any synthetic material that does not allow for proper ventelation
2) Try not to inhale fumes
3) ????
4) Profit! (also: fire)

I'm noticing a pattern with many of these cases: left on top of a rug, left on top of a bedspread. Generally aren't there are saftey instructions that come with all laptops warning strongly against putting them on surfaces like that? I recognize the actual incidents were the fault of the bad batteries, but good safety sense is good safety sense.

Lazybones

And the fabric covering your lap is more safe than a bed or the floor? ;)

Ustauk

Here's a thought:  why don't laptops come with little flip out feet, like you'd find on a keyboard, but sturdier, to allow some air to flow underneath the laptop and cool it?

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Ustauk on May 30, 2006, 01:30:15 PM
Here's a thought:  why don't laptops come with little flip out feet, like you'd find on a keyboard, but sturdier, to allow some air to flow underneath the laptop and cool it?

Or have as a standard option a condensation-free ice pack :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Quote from: Tonnica on May 30, 2006, 12:52:49 PM
I'm noticing a pattern with many of these cases: left on top of a rug, left on top of a bedspread. Generally aren't there are saftey instructions that come with all laptops warning strongly against putting them on surfaces like that? I recognize the actual incidents were the fault of the bad batteries, but good safety sense is good safety sense.
Yes, but don't you see all the commercials and advertisements where good-looking teenage girls are laying on their beds or carpeted floors with one foot up while they are surfing the web?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

They should do what McDonalds did after a similar problem; place a little lable on it that says "Caution: Contents Hot!"
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Would make a nice lighter, And it'll only cost you 1.5-2x the cost of a normal non "firestarter" laptop.

hmm, now I have that "firestarter" song stuck in my head.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tonnica

Quote from: Lazybones on May 30, 2006, 01:26:22 PM
And the fabric covering your lap is more safe than a bed or the floor? ;)

True 'nuff! Getting burned in the "laptop" area can be a painful experience at best!