Sphero "The Ball. Evolved."

Started by Darren Dirt, February 24, 2012, 09:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.

Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.

Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.

Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs:
-itching
-vertigo
-dizziness
-tingling in extremities
-loss of balance or coordination
-slurred speech
-temporary blindness
-profuse sweating
-heart palpitations

If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of Happy Fun Ball, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company, Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Happy Fun Ball comes with a lifetime guarantee.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Based on the warnings about not dropping it, etc, I'm guessing its internals are actually pretty fragile.

The kid laying down fake-bowling, that's just a terrible use of the Happy Fun Ball ("Sphero"?  Seriously?  Happy Fun Ball is a way better name!)

I think it's a good show of technical expertise in robotics, but I don't think it'll turn into the world's next Slinky.  And it'll never compare to Log!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 24, 2012, 09:22:41 AM
Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.

:whew: I was almost worried you wouldn't post this  ;D

Mr. Analog

Any time citizen!

Super Analog... AWAY!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on February 24, 2012, 09:32:39 AM
Based on the warnings about not dropping it, etc, I'm guessing its internals are actually pretty fragile.

The kid laying down fake-bowling, that's just a terrible use of the Happy Fun Ball ("Sphero"?  Seriously?  Happy Fun Ball is a way better name!)

I think it's a good show of technical expertise in robotics, but I don't think it'll turn into the world's next Slinky.  And it'll never compare to Log!

While I am presuming your tongue is at least partly planted in cheek, if it ISN'T then a quick FYI: Mr. Analog posted an excerpt of an SNL fake commercial for "Happy Fun Ball", whereas in the OP I linked to a REAL product "Sphero", a "remote controlled ball" that is guided on your smartphone. Not sure if there's any warnings about breakage and whatnot.

Either way, I agree that "Sphero" sounds like something out of the 50s, sounds like the marketing team was having trouble coming up with a good name and they made a joke and the PHB took them seriously and said "PERFECT!" and thus Sphero was born (reminds me of the first Dilbert episode, come to think of it  :P )

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 24, 2012, 09:33:33 AM
That's for sure!

Log! Log! Log!

Does it walk down stairs? Alone or in pairs? And make a loggity sound?

Mr. Analog

It's great for a snack and fits right on my back!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yup, I know where Happy Fun Ball comes from.  Sphero is a terrible name, just like Wii is a terrible name (in English).  It just sounds bad.  Happy Fun Ball sounds way cooler.  Yes, I know that HFB is already taken, but seriously, can't they name it better than "Sphero"?  Maybe "Auto-sphere"?  "Robo-ball"?

I can see "rolling the ball in a circle and then in a rectangle" getting old quick.  There's no real imagination at play there.  At the same time, the robotics and gyroscopics behind it is simply fascinating.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Hah, actually that's a good point, probably way more interesting to the people who built it than the people who'll use it.

I suspect the marketing dept behind the name is the same one that though Zune should be brown and have a squirt feature...

Also say bye-bye to Zune and Windows Live brands
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer