Kick-Ass one-upped by "God Bless America"?

Started by Darren Dirt, March 18, 2012, 09:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

from Bobcat Goldthwait, apparently satire along the lines of Natural Born Killers or American Psycho...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAIQYjOmAj4

^ standard all-audiences trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul4CZrnEFxU

^ Red Band trailer

watch them in that order... and then realize what was excluded for the masses? A "minor" little detail... An equal # of the shootings are done by ... a young girl. Her attitude makes me say she is perhaps even more sociopathic than "Hit Girl".

I blame Reese Witherspoon for starting this trend of depicting minor females so freely committing murder by firearm... Aren't there better ways for kids to resolve their differences?

Seriously though, is it okay to hide behind satire, having this kind of modernization of "Falling Down" be executed (sorry) at the hands of a child? (okay, she's supposed to be 16 by the sound of it, but how many 16 year olds have any idea of long-term repurcussions of their antisocial actions?)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Heh, the other changes between the two, there was some swearing in the second ::) sheesh.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Also why would the dude pack an AK47, I thought he was American!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

At least in Falling Down he had a driving purpose and was slowly becoming unhinged.  This appears to just be some guy with a desire to kill anyone he personally doesn't like, and a girl who really relates to that same feeling, i.e. a couple of psychopaths.

As far as whether it's okay to depict a child murderer gleefully murdering others, well, I'm more interested in who views that - critical adults vs impressionable tweeners.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Or freaks stroking their guns in their compounds...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 19, 2012, 10:24:59 AM
Or freaks stroking their guns in their compounds...

They're more likely to be set off by replays of ATF's attack on that Waco complex.

Damn, that's some irony on the name of the place near the complex and how close it is to the word Wacko.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

LAWLZ :D

If they sold it as the B-Movie it is I'd maybe be less hard on it but they're going with the "serios bidness" sell

<movie guy voice>From Director Bobcat Goldthwait</movie guy voice> (nope, still doesn't work for me...

Seriously though, they need to bring back Space Ghost to do another Bobcat interview. Best Bobcat Interview Ever.

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 19, 2012, 11:17:44 AM
LAWLZ :D

If they sold it as the B-Movie it is I'd maybe be less hard on it but they're going with the "serios bidness" sell

<movie guy voice>From Director Bobcat Goldthwait</movie guy voice> (nope, still doesn't work for me...

Actually Bobcat is a Serious Director now.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001281/#Director

He's definitely got technical cred, having directed tons of comedy television series, but also he shot World's Greatest Dad, which (like GBA, I presume) was/is Dark Comedy/Satire intended to make people Think. About culture and stuff.

Definitely moved beyond "Cadet Zed" though, I gotta say.

Mr. Analog

Yes... what's his other film? Shakes the Clown?

BWAH BWUH

I dunno, I watched both trailers and all I could think was "hey that Falling Down was a great movie, lets do that but with witty jabs at CURRENT pop media icons"

/the room falls silent

/a dog barks in the distance

/an accountant starts salivating and they don't know why yet
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Funny this thread title...

because in the trailer for the Kick-Ass sequel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=7UMbwxbgv8U *

...there's a "Colonel STARS & STRIPES"...

*Red Band -- so the main bad guy's actual Super Villain Name is said out loud, i.e. NSFW warning due to language