"XBone/XboxOne games discussion" (Re: Plex and VIZIO!)

Started by Mr. Analog, November 14, 2014, 02:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Oddly enough I saw an ad for VIZIO tvs in the Futureshop e-mail flyer today

So what games were the driving factor for getting Boned?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 14, 2014, 02:21:59 PM
Oddly enough I saw an ad for VIZIO tvs in the Futureshop e-mail flyer today

So what games were the driving factor for getting Boned?

He got (and LOVED) the early-release of COD:AW as well as a certain comical open-world-but-story/mission-based zombie shooter/railgrinder (actually my youngest daughter has played that one a TON more than my son... with me watching and laughing along with her much of that gaming time!) He also got WatchDogs, and I am now worried about his driving skills in the RL after watching him in-game.  :P

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Oh yeah, that's the one kind of like Saints Row + BORDERLANDS right?

Nice :)

I'll probably get AW for PC when it drops in price
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 14, 2014, 02:33:40 PM
Oh yeah, that's the one kind of like Saints Row + BORDERLANDS right?

It's got the best aspects of Lollipop Chainsaw (art style and VIVID candy-like color scheme, along with dark/dry comical sense of humor... and of course, zombie theme!) plus GTA (missions and story within a HUGE open world), with a bit of BioshockInfinite mechanics thrown in for good measure (which my daughter got the hang of really quickly -- in THIS game you must keep moving, grinding on rails etc. mostly, just to stay alive -- take more than a few seconds standing still on the ground and DIE real quick!)

COD:AW looked amazing too, I kept standing in the hallway watching "movie" scenes as he played through the story having to remind myself it was a videogame not a theatrical film release, every Spacey scene especially was gripping. Great character they developed here. Cool, creative way he meets his demise :)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I would say, don't worry about how his WatchDogs driving will compare to his real-life driving.  The WatchDogs driving is super-glitchy.  My son has it and the way the driving works, that's pretty much the reason he keeps quitting missions in frustration.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yeah it sucks all right. I completed the intro mission by not taking the car but running to the CTA station near the ballpark

Sadly most games don't do driving as well as GTA
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Sadly most games don't do driving as well as iRacing.  Seriously, it's the kind of game that you go out and buy a force-feedback steering wheel and pedals for.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Hah, that's taking it a bit too far in the other direction IMO :)

I like arcade driving action, the problem I had with WATCH_DOGS is when you have to drive (which is oddly more often than I thought it would be) is you're encouraged to drive like a maniac, and it just doesn't fit with the character you are playing.

I mean it's different when it's something like Saint's Row, but when you're the good guy mowing down pedestrians because the game put you in that situation? Kind of dumb.

TBH I thought it would be more about absorbing details and being stealthy than GTA with a slightly more fully featured phone

Kind of like Mirror's Edge, where I thought I'd be running from people with guns, not shooting them (you can actually finish the game like this but it's REALLY REALLY HARD)

/OT
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Well this thread was about Plex / Vizio at one point..

?\_(ツ)_/?

Mr. Analog

LOL

And to think only a few years ago I was such a jerkass about derailed threads haha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 14, 2014, 04:31:38 PM

I like arcade driving action, the problem I had with WATCH_DOGS is when you have to drive (which is oddly more often than I thought it would be) is you're encouraged to drive like a maniac, and it just doesn't fit with the character you are playing.

I mean it's different when it's something like Saint's Row, but when you're the good guy mowing down pedestrians because the game put you in that situation? Kind of dumb.

idk, games like this let you express your personality (or an opposite one ;) ) through the gameplay mechanics -- my son had a half hour when we found it hilarious shoot his gun in the air in the middle of a populated city street, then when folks call 911 on their cell phone he would shoot them (headshot, usually) in mid-sentence, because the 911 operator had about 2 dozen variants of "hello? are you still there?" ... not like he'd do that in RL obviously, just was funny/disturbing seeing how often he would crash when driving at lower speed than say Crazy Taxi ... and of course a lot of the time it was a dormant police car that he woke up (right after his notoriety dropped back to sane levels lol)

Mr. Analog

Heh well it is a form of escape. I just expected more I guess
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 14, 2014, 07:17:13 PM
LOL

And to think only a few years ago I was such a jerkass about derailed threads haha

Thread-Split OP candidate = http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,10412.msg82652.html#msg82652 imo ( topic something like "XBone/XboxOne games discussion" maybe? )

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer