Agile question answered with "Do you run a server at 100% load?"

Started by Darren Dirt, June 19, 2019, 09:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

"Why do all the teams that I have worked with always finish a sprint without completion of all the stories?"
https://pm.stackexchange.com/questions/26651/why-do-all-the-teams-that-i-have-worked-with-always-finish-a-sprint-without-comp/26657#26657 https://archive.fo/P8ZpX

The core problem is that a sprint model typically assumes one way or another that there is 100% developer load, and developers respond by padding out their estimates with safety buffer so that they can hopefully only operate under 50% load or so.

Then you have natural problems dealing with the same two problems: hardware failure (employee burnout) and latency spikes (hey, Legal said one week ago that Floozels must only be awarded for the Flotsam that is also Jetsam?why isn?t this fixed now?!).

In practice nobody wants to accept the latency spikes and so they simply throw story points of developer time out of the current sprint in order to keep latency low with their bosses and the business at large...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

We're struggling with this as well the solution is to pack less planned story work into a sprint to ensure focus on the stories we want to complete. If we complete everything before the sprint is over we can pull in more stories.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

That is absolutely bang-on for how our company is currently trying to run scrum. It sucks the big one.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

From what I have heard from you guys lately, I knew that find would rrally resonate with you.

Combine awareness of this with that video I shared re. stuff YOU should ask about THEM when interviewing at a new company...

Emotional damage is invisible and so far more dangerous... self-inflicted doubly so.
A workplace should never be something you dread entwring every day.
"should"... :-\

Strive for progress. Not perfection.