28-port USB hub

Started by Lazybones, June 22, 2012, 09:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://boingboing.net/2012/06/22/28-port-usb-hub.html

Hmm not sure what you would use it for but I can only imaging some strange project with a bunch of misc USB devices connected.

Mr. Analog

Whoa! If you had lots of instruments that used USB you could throw away your bulky old MIDI cables!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Hmm some ideas:

- A cheap TV tuner for almost every channel.
- Multiple wifi devices for lots of wifi channels.

Thorin

That's almost enough to charge all the devices in my house these days (phones, ipods, etc).

But seriously, keyboard, mouse, printer, headphones, external HDD, webcam, speakers, that's seven already.  ipod x 3, ipod touch x 2, iphone x 2, android phones x 2, digital camera x 4, steering wheel and pedals.  Wow, that's 21 devices already.  That I could hook up to one computer.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Hmm.. One possible issue with that, most USB chipsets contain two (or four) ports per chip/hub. To get that many, the entire device would have to internally daisy chain a crap load of usb hubs. And imagine the bandwidth of a single USB port being shared with 28 separate devices. USB tends to be a bit dumb about how it goes about sharing bandwidth. Even if a device isn't transferring data, it is normally allocated its own fair share of the bandwidth. So assuming stuff is plugged into each of those 28 ports, each device will get 1/28th of the bandwidth. I think you'd struggle to use anything more than dumb peripherals over 28 usb2 ports at the same time.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on June 22, 2012, 09:18:04 AM
http://boingboing.net/2012/06/22/28-port-usb-hub.html

Hmm not sure what you would use it for but I can only imaging some strange project with a bunch of misc USB devices connected.

single-PC 28 channel recording studio?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

We have a 14 port USB over Ethernet device at work, but you can guess why.

That is just insane for a local use.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!