Android GMail Update

Started by Mr. Analog, June 07, 2013, 10:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

How to disable sender icons:

Menu->Settings->General Settings->Sender Image

There is currently no way to multi-select e-mails to delete them in a group with sender images disabled.

If you have other issues please post 'em here so Google gets the message:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/gmail/ask-a-how-to-question/managing-settings-and-mail/android
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Can't really help since I rarely use gmail outside of work in browser. :(
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Help what?

If you use GMail's Android client you would have found a lot of changes this morning with the update, otherwise it doesn't affect you.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

According to the link you posted, if you have sender images disabled (like I did almost right away), you can tap-and-hold a sender, then Select mode will enable, then you can select multiple messages and delete them as one group.  Haven't tried this yet, as I barely ever delete groups of emails in my Gmail inbox.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yes, you can do that, not exactly intuitive
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

What was the point of ghat update anyway?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

That's a GREAT question.

One which has left me scratching my head.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 07, 2013, 11:01:54 AM
Help what?

If you use GMail's Android client you would have found a lot of changes this morning with the update, otherwise it doesn't affect you.
I use it sparingly. If I'm out or I hear a message come in and I'm too lazy to check my laptop ;D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Thinking about GMail changes reminded me that I'm still pretty annoyed with the Android app, you have to go out of your way to change the swipe to "delete" things efficiently (if you don't want giant eye-magnetizing boxes appearing everywhere that is), oddly the default swipe action is "Archive", which is an area I find exceedingly difficult to find in the mobile app.

grumble mumble :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

i don't recognize the cause of your grumblings, maybe I haven't got an update on my Gmail app in my Android... it's a really old version of Android so that wouldn't be surprising #UnexpectedBenefit

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

It could also be that you don't have auto-update enabled

I had to disable auto-update for the YouTube client on my Xoom, the client it shipped with is amazing the client they force you to upgrade to lacks features I really like.

At least with Android I can roll back some changes.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Gmail is getting a minor facelift (compared to the current version on my Android Samsung Galaxy S3) but apparently that look is gonna migrate into ALL of Google's apps -- and not just on your phone, but in your web apps too!

http://www.muktware.com/2014/04/google-2-0-way-refreshed-apps/25135

Strive for progress. Not perfection.