Tribes: Ascend = Free To Play done the right way!

Started by Darren Dirt, April 20, 2012, 09:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

well, it's out ... and apparently it's fantastic!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1223384p1.html

Maybe all those hours of playing "Tiny Wings" or similar games where you press down on your smartphone screen to slide down a hill and accelerate = can be put to good use in this FPS? :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Damn! I used to love Tribes back in the day!

I know what I'm downloading tonight.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Shazbot! I already spend too much time in Minecraft, now this?

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 20, 2012, 09:54:27 AM
Damn! I used to love Tribes back in the day!

I know what I'm downloading tonight.

The other day I started the download for CoH FtP, it does it in stages and Stage 2 just got to 100% last night, so I hope tonight I'm finally gonna be running around Pinnacle with my Angry Midget Alien ... but hey that's just me and what I want to occasionally jump in and do for simply amusement  ;D

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on April 20, 2012, 09:59:02 AM
Shazbot! I already spend too much time in Minecraft, now this?

Yeah, I see you log in and I see you log out... :D

Seriously, though, Minecraft is taking way too much of my time, as well.  But hey, it's only sleep I'm missing out on, so...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Yeah you guys have gone way beyond the 1-2H an night range I thought you would both put in...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Well, it takes longer than that to make a seven hundred meter railway on a five meter wide bed of cobble with a four meter fence surrounding the entire project :)  I've spent about ten hours in single player over the last three or four nights working on designing a nice level auto-stop/auto-start railway station, in addition to the time I've spent on multiplayer.

And I've watched a bunch of empty minecart detector tutorials, with no good flat-ground solutions.  There's one where you time a switching track just perfect, but it depends entirely on timing and multiplayer just seems too glitchy/laggy for it to work all the time.  So I might end up having to put in a riser somewhere.

Oh right, this thread was about Tribes: Ascend.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

To be honest the survival part is one thing, but the building part is something else, it really brings out the problem solving skills we all have as programmers/geeks it's all about resource management, efficient design and creativity, things we all posess in droves and just love to show off.

Minecraft is something that's really sparked my brain cells.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

In Creative mode, where you can place any block you want, you can build some beautiful structures really quickly.

In Survival mode, it feels like much more of an accomplishment building those same structures.  I like that challenge.  Plus sometimes it's nice to just go on a digging grind to get more raw materiel. :)

Oh, Darren, sorry for the de-rail back into MC land.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 20, 2012, 03:34:03 PM
Oh, Darren, sorry for the de-rail back into MC land.

just as much of a sinner as you are!
Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 20, 2012, 01:31:57 PM
The other day I started the download for CoH FtP, it does it in stages and Stage 2 just got to 100% last night, so I hope tonight I'm finally gonna be running around Pinnacle with my Angry Midget Alien ... but hey that's just me and what I want to occasionally jump in and do for simply amusement  ;D

Mr. Analog

Angry Midget Alien lol

I downloaded the client yesterday between stuff, I may be on there today.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 22, 2012, 06:20:18 AM
Angry Midget Alien lol

I downloaded the client yesterday between stuff, I may be on there today.

MIDGET = shortest height so it looks hilarious when my tough girl of a dual-blades Brute is taking on tall mobs (such as The Lost).

Currently I'm Level 11 and just now had my first death -- I was monkeying with my difficulty level for "police scanner" missions, and discovered that :shock: apparently a solo brute with no defense against much of anything other than the basic physical attacks, @ +1 level, with "SOLO includes Bosses = YES" = eventually gonna die (curse you Bricks and Shockers and Coolers all at once!) so I just dropped back down to "-1 my level, NO to bosses" but "equal to 2 heroes" and was too easy/boring/smallrewards so I think I'm happy now with "equal to 3 heroes" ; 1 or 2 Lieutenants but medium/huge mobs so a lot of challenge without being virtually impossible :)

Forgot how frustrating/exciting it is to get into the Red health and have some DoT and running back for the elevators cmon cmon why don't I have any green inspirations argh WHEW rest time THAT was CLOSE!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 23, 2012, 12:46:21 PM
Famous Last Words, number 131: "Yeah, I know it's dangerous, but think of the experience points."

^ above = pretty much the motivation behind this...
Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 22, 2012, 10:58:07 PM
just now had my first death -- I was monkeying with my difficulty level

::)

Thorin

I like "They need a twenty to hit me, I'm invincible"

As a DM, I nearly insta-killed a very-low-hp mage who had turned themselves into a gaseous cloud and went exploring, thinking their character couldn't get hit.

The monster then ran away into a side corridor, and the mage didn't follow.  Instead he retrieved the armoured-up paladin, and led him down said corridor.  The gaseous mage passed right over the closed pit trap that the oversized monster could jump over.  The paladin never thought to even _check_ for covered pit traps and fell into the pit.  The pit had a gelatinous cube stuck on ledges halfway done, unable to climb out.  So the paladin fell through it, then it fell on the paladin to feed.  Meanwhile, the mage refused to return to solid to help, in case the monster came back.

Never believe you're invincible.  And never split the party.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 23, 2012, 03:44:35 PM
I like "They need a twenty to hit me, I'm invincible"

As a DM, I nearly insta-killed a very-low-hp mage who had turned themselves into a gaseous cloud and went exploring, thinking their character couldn't get hit.

The monster then ran away into a side corridor, and the mage didn't follow.  Instead he retrieved the armoured-up paladin, and led him down said corridor.  The gaseous mage passed right over the closed pit trap that the oversized monster could jump over.  The paladin never thought to even _check_ for covered pit traps and fell into the pit.  The pit had a gelatinous cube stuck on ledges halfway done, unable to climb out.  So the paladin fell through it, then it fell on the paladin to feed.  Meanwhile, the mage refused to return to solid to help, in case the monster came back.

Never believe you're invincible.  And never split the party.
I feel horribly guilty for my contributions and yet mildly amused and impressed at just how uniquely confusing and convulated this thread has gotten -- I don't even know what the post above is related to  :P ;)

so... ummm... Tribes?

Lazybones

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 23, 2012, 04:23:22 PM
I feel horribly guilty for my contributions and yet mildly amused and impressed at just how uniquely confusing and convulated this thread has gotten -- I don't even know what the post above is related to  :P ;)

It is a DND reference.

Thorin

CUUUUUUUUUUBE!!!!

source: http://nerdfighters.ning.com/photo/diagon-alley/next?context=user

How did I get there?  Well, the talk about dying because you're trying harder battles made me think of the classic roleplaying quote, "THINK OF THE EXPERIENCE POINTS!", so I found that on a list and posted it.  Then I found another quote on that list that harkened back to a particularly near-deadly session of D&D, so I expounded upon it.

But yeah...

Original Thread ────>

<──┐
Current Direction ──┐
            │       └────┐
            └────────────┘
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Very impressive derailing sir! And to think it was done without the assistance of Penny Arcade, Slashdot, Tropes, or even WIKIPEDIA! Well done...

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 23, 2012, 09:51:31 PM
Dammit I fell in a Tropes Hole earlier...

apparently so has this budding actor/comedian: ("Seth Williams acting reel")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npveuMKdYlQ (range!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnlduYdZ_mQ (staring/unblinking range!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtRA1WticfE (bearded range!!!)

it's like he has some random cliche-quotes machine spitting out a phrase in front of him and he just EMOTES the line... and it is somehow very compelling!

"I thought you liked Mojitos" "Cool beans." "What part of maybe don't you understand?" ... "Look, only one of us is holding the cat, man" (!?)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 24, 2012, 07:11:57 PM
whaaaAAAA?

Remember, Darren reads something, makes about eight different connections elsewhere, then posts the resulting link.  If he told us how his train of thought got there I'm sure it'd make perfect sense to the rest of us.

I do the same thing at times.

So, Tribes was a good game?  As not-a-gamer-who-now-passes-out-at-the-keyboard-trying-to-build-a-railway-roof, I didn't play many of the games you fine folk enjoyed in your younger years.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Tribes took some patience to learn, like CounterStrike, but once you got in the groove it really kicked ass.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

See, I was never, ever, interested in CounterStrike because of the attitudes of people who I knew that played it.  Way too antagonistic for my taste.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful