The Secret World: MMO that "makes you use your brain in creative ways"

Started by Darren Dirt, July 05, 2012, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://farbeyondmycapacity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/10-reasons-why-secret-world-has-blown.html

10. It Dares to be Different

This is one of the most interesting and unique MMOs for years. For all the hype surrounding The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2, this game innovates in a whole host of ways, and truly pushes the boundaries compared to those two behemoths.

The world, the questing and the character progression are all unique and feel very different to other hotkey MMOs. So much so that I can see some people having real trouble adjusting. It's just this innovation that completely blindsided me and blew me away however.

So, there you have ten of the reasons I am hooked on The Secret World. It's a huge, complex and demanding game that won't be for everyone. It has flaws (some clunky animations, a steep learning curve, and a complete refusal to hold your hand and make things easy), but they only serve to highlight the amazing design, writing, quests and world Funcom have created.

via Wikipedia via http://adingworld.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/the-secret-world-has-launched/ (<--launch trailer)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I read that blog post - it sounds more like that LA Noire game you were gushing about, Mr. Analog.  Lots of investigation and thinking and putting clues together.  Whereas Minecraft's draw is GIANT LEGO BOX.  Although I suppose both do make you use your brain; Secret World you use your brain to make the connections between clues, Minecraft you use your brain to plan out your builds.

Also, I somehow ended up at Funcom's 2012 Q1 financial report, even though I didn't know who Funcom is until this blog post.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Just what you need, more games to play :)

So Darren, are you thinking about trying this game out?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on July 05, 2012, 09:58:08 AM

Nothing can take me away from the Tekkit
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on July 05, 2012, 10:54:06 AM
d'aww, the Vanilla misses you!

I recall a world... a world without geothermal generators, power and automated mining...

Once I build an automated solar panel factory I'll stop

:D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on July 05, 2012, 09:58:08 AM

When it gets to be Free2Play maybe... but since it's a new release that'll be a while. In the mean time I just got to Level 35 in CoH and got my Epic power pool (ice/cold powers ftw, my control-free Brute needs to slow down them mega-mobs all hitting me at once now).

For those who didn't check links in OP, it's actually an MMO that isn't like your typical level-up grind, there's apparently a lot less structure than most other MMOs (including what I quoted above, but the other items in the list in the linked article discuss other ways it's truly different). But it's still got goals coming at you from the MCP, i.e. open world to explore but NOT as open and un-directed as Minecraft.

Darren Dirt

another review, likes the innovative non-grinding stuff, but thinks combat sucks.
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/904918-the-secret-world-review-the-next-files

PS: apologies mods, this thread shoulda gone into the MMO subsection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer