Main Menu

CoH anyone?

Started by Melbosa, September 18, 2012, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

When do you want to play?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometime this week work for anyone?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on September 18, 2012, 09:09:43 PM
Sometime this week work for anyone?

Well yeah, but what day/time?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on September 19, 2012, 07:53:28 AM
Tonight, 9PM?

If we can start at 8 I'll be there (two late nights in a row already)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Hmmm I'll have to see what I can do...

Mr. Analog

Yeah, 8 or 8:30 would be perf

Just let me know by about 2 PM otherwise I have a art collab thing I'm setting up tonight
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Too bad we couldn't get the whole gang on... DD, Lazy, Tom and perhaps Thorin for a brief time.  Just to get the old feel going!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on September 19, 2012, 08:44:40 AM
Too bad we couldn't get the whole gang on... DD, Lazy, Tom and perhaps Thorin for a brief time.  Just to get the old feel going!

Heck yeah!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I'm surprised Darren hasn't piped up, he was talking about CoH just a short while ago wasn't he?  As for me, I haven't even started up Minecraft this week, sports are starting up and I'm coaching again so that's kept me busy.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Blaa turns out I uninstalled.

So I'm re-doing that right now but how does tomorrow night sound? Gives me a chance to get the client up and running again.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

My next 3 nights is busy but no worries. We'll get 'er in yet. 

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on September 19, 2012, 08:00:45 PM
My next 3 nights is busy but no worries. We'll get 'er in yet.

You got it, maybe we can drag along some friends :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

and time has "officially" run out. (although 5 minutes ago I COULD still log on -- I didn't actually play though)

http://us.ncsoft.com/en/news/response-to-city-of-heroes-player-and-fan-suggestions.html

City of Heroes? Players and Fans,

We wanted to let you know that your voices have been heard and your concerns have been taken into serious consideration. We appreciate the overwhelmingly constructive and positive messages in the emails, notes, and packages you've sent in support of the game. It has not been an easy decision for us to close Paragon Studios? and prepare to shut down City of Heroes. We've exhausted all options including the selling of the studio and the rights to the City of Heroes intellectual property, but in the end, efforts to do so were not successful. City of Heroes has a special place in all of our hearts, and we want to ensure its reputation and the memories we share for the game end on a high note.

Once again, we will be holding events throughout the process of preparing for the game's end, and we encourage players and fans of the franchise to join forces and enjoy their time in a game that we've enjoyed supporting for more than eight years.

The NCSOFT? Team

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Maybe they should release the server code and make it free for all!

Mr. Analog

That was one of the options discussed, I don't think NCSoft wants to give up the IP though.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

oops, it's December now. The door has been shut. Forever.

So I guess I couldn't have actually done anything if I entered my password at the login screen.

http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/sunset.php?t=295805

FAREWELL from Paragon Studios? and NCSOFT?
After hosting the final heroic battle between good and evil, the City of Heroes servers shut down permanently on November 30, 2012.

The Heroes and Villains have taken to the skies of City of Heroes for the last time, but the game and community will forever remain in our memories and hearts.

We thank our fans for their years of support. We couldn't have gone this far without you.

Thank you again, and fly free.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 05, 2012, 08:10:22 AM
That was one of the options discussed, I don't think NCSoft wants to give up the IP though.

true dat -- "TonyV" the guy behind one of the BEST of the CoH wikis, had something to suggest/offer on 01Sep2012: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,4877.0.html -- but I am guessing the price NCSoft would want for its IP = way outta reach for anyone but Sony or similar.

his "Save Paragon City!" forum subsection here: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,134.0.html

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 05, 2012, 01:09:41 PM
And NCSoft is paying the price apparently

stock price being down ~1.5% in mid-November != a big "price" to pay.

Apparently 3%-5% of NCSoft revenue was from CoH, so even though it might have been slightly profitable, perhaps in the grand scheme of things it was taking up too many "resources" to keep it going. Oddly enough, various articles since the closure announcement mentioned that after it became F2P+VIP it was somehow generating MORE revenue than in the 12 months prior. #lolfuzzyeconomics

And also apparently: next for NCSoft = a move from Fantasy to Science Fiction ( linky1 , linky2 )

Mr. Analog

RTFA:

QuoteNCsoft's stock price has fallen over 43% since the announcement in August, almost 30% below it's previous 52-week low, right when investors were counting on the success of the recently launched Guild Wars 2 to help boost the company.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 05, 2012, 01:53:36 PM
RTFA:

QuoteNCsoft's stock price has fallen over 43% since the announcement in August, almost 30% below it's previous 52-week low, right when investors were counting on the success of the recently launched Guild Wars 2 to help boost the company.

JINKEYS! Maybe instead of just CoH IP, Disney should buy up NCSoft in its entirety!

Mr. Analog

That would be pretty cool actually :D

You know I regret uninstalling it before the end, I wanted to get in one last time...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

edit: "Wildstar" might actually be more like "Fantasy SciFi", definitely not "pure hard scifi" -- http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/media/