Coolest car in the world!

Started by Thorin, August 01, 2007, 11:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

The Rinspeed Splash is a natural-gas-powered two-seater amphibious car capable of 200km/h on land and 0-100km/h in just 5.9 seconds.  What makes it cool is that it transforms into a hydrofoil that can do up to 45 knots in the water!

http://www.racegarden.com/video-show.html?video_id=52
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Ustauk

Sweet!  I wonder how long the commute on the North Saskatchewan from Fort Saskatchewan or Devon would be to downtown in it, compared to using the roads?

Mr. Analog

Oddly enough we found this car thru the Wikipedia entry for Top Gear episodes (they rated as the maddest car).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Ustauk on August 01, 2007, 12:00:20 PM
Sweet!  I wonder how long the commute on the North Saskatchewan from Fort Saskatchewan or Devon would be to downtown in it, compared to using the roads?

Well...  No lights and no traffic, so you're probably boating as fast as you would be driving.  The trick is in finding a place to drive out of the river; there aren't too many boat launches downtown.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Ustauk

Quote from: Thorin on August 01, 2007, 12:34:07 PM
Quote from: Ustauk on August 01, 2007, 12:00:20 PM

Well...  No lights and no traffic, so you're probably boating as fast as you would be driving.  The trick is in finding a place to drive out of the river; there aren't too many boat launches downtown.

The closest launches to downtown that I know of are both across the river.  There's one by Raptor's Landing, where the Edmonton Queen resides.  There's another one in Emily Murphy Park by Hawrelyk Park

Tonnica

Man that's one sweet vehicle. I love amphibious cars. Figure out the spot with the depth you need to launch and roll into the water nonchalantly as people start to freak. Then DEPLOY THE HYDROFOILS AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The one thing I noticed was the avoidance of weedy waters. That'd be the likely flaw of this vehicle: if the prop gets clogged then you're rowing to shore and floating it until you can de-clog the prop. I'd assume this car would be treated to prevent rusting and leakage while in the water but I sure wouldn't recommend parking it on the river. "Oh! I dropped my keys! Honey, get my scuba suit please."

Concept car: badass

Amphibious concept car: REALLY badass

Amphibious concept car with hydrofoils: REALLY badass

Lazybones

I think the aquada is more likely something I would drive.

Thorin

Well, the Aquada has a lower top landspeed (100mph = 160km/h vs 200km/h), a lower water speed (30mph = 48km/h vs 80km/h), and likely a longer 0-100km/h time (unknown vs 5.9 seconds).  They're both unsinkable.  The Aquada has an extra seat and possibly more storage area.  They can both tow a skier.  The Splash has a much smaller engine and runs on cleaner-burning natural gas.

But hydrofoiling a car is a cool idea, and the Splash still looks cool driving down the road.

If I were to buy a Gibbs Technologies car, I'd pick the Humdinga over the Aquada.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

CowGirl

i aM A NoBoDy, NoBoDy iS PeRfEcT, tHeReFoRe, I'M PeRfEcT!

Lazybones

there is also http://www.terrawind.com/

The RV is an affordable $850,000 to $1.2M, but they also have a car.

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!