Main Menu

3D Printers

Started by Lazybones, February 27, 2017, 11:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Yep. I tend to do a lot of searching before doing when I have problems these days.

Tom

Yup. I was dumb. Young dumb and ugly as it were.

I ordered the little parts needed, though its coming as an entire kit cause i wanted it right away instead of in a month. so it was more expensive and has stuff in it i don't care about. oh well.

I decided as well, that since this print head is so dumb, I'm upgrading to an E3D print head as one of my next prints (after some calibration runs for the stock config). I'll probably make a couple comparison prints as well.

The E3D from amazon/china costs very little as well. Like $25. A proper non clone is more like $60, but even that I'd say is worth it, but I wanted it /now/ lol.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Huh, apparently my kernel was missing the cdc_acm driver. Now it shows up. Silly me.

Lazybones

Hopefully you ordered the correct parts and are basing it on a guide someone posted.

Filament diameter, the fact your printer is a Bowden style extruder and if you purchased heater block that it is the correct voltage 12v or 24v

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on July 20, 2017, 08:56:25 AM
Hopefully you ordered the correct parts and are basing it on a guide someone posted.

Filament diameter, the fact your printer is a Bowden style extruder and if you purchased heater block that it is the correct voltage 12v or 24v
Should have. Though I'll double check the voltage...

Yup, voltage is fine. it is bowden, and theres a couple different adapters I can use.

Tom

It's alive! I got and installed some BuildTak on thursday. new bowden tube fitting arrived and got installed yesterday. And I finished up the settings for the latest cura that seem to be working rather well so far with a x/y calibration test print.

Before I work on the hotend upgrades, I'll try to get this one dialed in, print a bunch of comparison pieces and do a nice comparison after.

Lazybones

I would probably leave the hot-end alone unless you have actual issues, keeping it as a spare.

In the mean time you might want to get used to one of the modeling tools so you can start printing useful custom things..

I am still waiting for parts for my projects which is making me sad...

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on July 22, 2017, 02:54:41 PM
I would probably leave the hot-end alone unless you have actual issues, keeping it as a spare.

In the mean time you might want to get used to one of the modeling tools so you can start printing useful custom things..

I am still waiting for parts for my projects which is making me sad...
Yeah, we'll see how it does. If its good enough to start, I'll keep the original. A lot of people reccomend upgrading the hotend as one of the first things you do to the mp select mini 3d v2.

Tom

Mah extruder got all kinds of jammed last night. Looks like the filament got a little melty and curled into an area between the nozzle opening and the ptfe filler tube. The design of this extruder/hot-end is pretty terribad. Very prone to jams.

Lazybones

Also of note, white filament apparently has some of the most inconsistent results due to what they put in it to make it white. Or so I have read... Seems true as the spool of white I have is the only one that gives me regular issues. However it is also the easiest to paint.

Lazybones

Also calibrating at least each brand of filament for "your printers" temps is important. I have about 3 brands now and did. Some tests and temperature towers. Some would not extrude at full speed at 210 and need 215 or 220 on my printer.

If you look at how to make a temperature tower in cura it can be very helpful to crate a profile for a given filament.

Tom

I've been doing a lot of tweaking with this. In fact, thats what caused the jam. I turned up the retraction distance and speed, it was still a little soft, and there may have been a lip or gap around the ptfe spacer tube and that got it all gummed up.

I'm printing the Maker's Muse torture cube/lattice right now. I'm getting some burring that I haven't quite figured out yet. But over all its rather good.

Been trying to set up octoprint's video stream, but i'm not sure what format it wants. tried http and rtp stream from vlc... blah. Not finding any particularly relevant information on how to set it up on something that's not an octopi or beaglebone.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on July 23, 2017, 01:32:45 PM
Been trying to set up octoprint's video stream, but i'm not sure what format it wants. tried http and rtp stream from vlc... blah. Not finding any particularly relevant information on how to set it up on something that's not an octopi or beaglebone.

It isn't clear to me, are you trying to get video INTO octoprint our OUT? The stream / webcam function mostly assume a locally connected USB camera, and octoprint does three things with it, 1 displays it on the control screen, 2 exposes it as an image or live steam URL via FFMPEG or 3 records a time-lapse.. I am not sure it is really meant to ACCEPT streams in anyway way.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on July 23, 2017, 03:28:57 PM

It isn't clear to me, are you trying to get video INTO octoprint our OUT? The stream / webcam function mostly assume a locally connected USB camera, and octoprint does three things with it, 1 displays it on the control screen, 2 exposes it as an image or live steam URL via FFMPEG or 3 records a time-lapse.. I am not sure it is really meant to ACCEPT streams in anyway way.
It seemed to be asking for a url to stream from. Octopi has all this stuff set up, so the default /live exists already I think. But since i'm just running it as a test on my desktop, there is nothing set up automatically.

It says "Webcam stream not loaded; It might not be correctly configured. You can change the url of the stream under... If you don't have a webcam just set the url to be an empty value". Which makes me think it needs a url to stream the video from.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on July 23, 2017, 06:50:40 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on July 23, 2017, 03:28:57 PM

It seemed to be asking for a url to stream from. Octopi has all this stuff set up, so the default /live exists already I think. But since i'm just running it as a test on my desktop, there is nothing set up automatically.

It says "Webcam stream not loaded; It might not be correctly configured. You can change the url of the stream under... If you don't have a webcam just set the url to be an empty value". Which makes me think it needs a url to stream the video from.

It depends on FFMPEG to generate the stream. So if you did a raw install I would assume you would need to configure that part or at least have the needed FFMPEG dependancies installed