Diskstation DSM 7 breaking old SMB shares FIX

Started by Mr. Analog, August 31, 2021, 09:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

The fix is easy:

Control Panel -> File Services -> SMB -> Advanced Settings -> Others

Enable NTLMv1 authentication

My Windows 7 system (yes it's old shuddap) could no longer mount shares from my Diskstation after I upgraded to DSM 7 and I found out that even though SMB1-3 was enabled I still couldn't connect. Turns out NTLMv1 is disabled by default in DSM 7 for security reasons, as a result my system was unable to connect to my NAS.

Windows 10 doesn't have this problem of course so it was a bit frustrating at first.

Hopefully this saves someone a headache...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Having completed our migration to windows 10 for users at work and windows 11 due out in Oct... Yes I know, shut up.

Actual funny story, I had to make a 2019 server talk to a 2003 server to setup a temporary integration for file transfers to migrate to the 2019 server. A LOT of hoops to get 2019 to talk to 2003, SMB1 isn't even installed to start.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 31, 2021, 09:07:56 PMHaving completed our migration to windows 10 for users at work and windows 11 due out in Oct... Yes I know, shut up.

Actual funny story, I had to make a 2019 server talk to a 2003 server to setup a temporary integration for file transfers to migrate to the 2019 server. A LOT of hoops to get 2019 to talk to 2003, SMB1 isn't even installed to start.

Ha! Well now that is going down the ol' dusty trail.

I plan on upgrading this machine soon, it's basically nothing more than a Plex server at this point and it's long overdue for an upgrade. I'll have to check how much a Win 10 license is these days thru my Visual Studio Subscription. Gonna miss fussing around with Win 7 and all its eccentricities... NOT!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

If it is just a plex server I recommend picking a version of Linux and running it in docker.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 31, 2021, 09:42:46 PMIf it is just a plex server I recommend picking a version of Linux and running it in docker.

But that would require learning things!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 31, 2021, 09:55:17 PMBut that would require learning things!

What I thought all developers loved docker ;)

Lazybones

Which NAS do you have anyway? You might be able to run plex on it directly.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 31, 2021, 09:58:17 PMWhich NAS do you have anyway? You might be able to run plex on it directly.

I can but I won't be able to migrate my carefully curated Library to it from Windows (at least I can't find a way to do it yet)

First World Problems!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 31, 2021, 10:14:15 PMI can but I won't be able to migrate my carefully curated Library to it from Windows (at least I can't find a way to do it yet)

First World Problems!

Ya the paths work completely different, I stumbled through that years ago. There is a way but it is a painful sequence.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 31, 2021, 11:20:11 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 31, 2021, 10:14:15 PMI can but I won't be able to migrate my carefully curated Library to it from Windows (at least I can't find a way to do it yet)

First World Problems!

Ya the paths work completely different, I stumbled through that years ago. There is a way but it is a painful sequence.
That's probably why I'll stick with a Windows setup

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

How close in features is the Linux builds now? It used to lag behind a bit to the Windows version?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on September 01, 2021, 09:43:49 AMHow close in features is the Linux builds now? It used to lag behind a bit to the Windows version?

They have been the same for a long time for video at least. There used to be plugs or things that existed for windows that nolonger exist.. I think the new " retro gaming" emulator feature might? need windows?