DAMN CREEPERS (and spiders!)

Started by Thorin, April 04, 2012, 09:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

So last night I was running around getting ready to lay the foundation for my house and I stayed out too late and got caught by spiders.  They killed me, and when I chose "Respawn" I was told there was an error with my bed and it put me all the way back to the spawn point.  By the time I got back, all my gear was gone, including over a thousand blocks of stone and sandstone for that foundation.

Anyway!  I ended up doing a bunch more sand-gathering and running east-west along my as-yet-unnamed surface road, and creepers started following me.  And then blowing up.  And taking chunks out of my road :(

DAMN CREEPERS

Also, is there a way to measure how many hours you've been online?  I've had four days of play time and I'm wondering if I've cracked 30 hours yet.

DAMN ADDICTING GAME
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

FYI it took me a while to get used to it, but to deal with creepers you really need one of these http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Bow and lots of arrows.

Also, being a total wuss until I had iron armor I would tend to travel by tunneling instead of walking over land. Added bonuse of gathering resources on the way.. JourneyMap really helps with direction when underground.

Also I exploded MANY times with those bastards sneaking up on me when I first joined the server... That is why I went away from spawn station... Even with hiding in houses I was constantly being blown up the moment I stepped out the door and had to repair peoples fences many times.

Mr. Analog

Oh yes, armor makes a HUGE difference, enchanting weapons helps quite a bit too.

When a sword or bow starts getting low on health you better make sure you have a back up too, nothing worse than getting stuck in a bad situation because your sword broke...

I am surprised that your stuff glitched out though, what's up with that?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, I didn't like the idea of tunneling because I didn't have a map originally.  Plus I was planning on making my area the kind of place one might wander around in.  That's changed a bit, though, now that I've encountered enough creepers.

I have way too many swords and shovels and picks now, and I always carry at least two of each :)

I thought your gear disappears after a while?  Especially if you're two biomes away.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Not if you put it in a chest, if you leave it lying around it will disappear
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on April 04, 2012, 09:54:56 AM
I thought your gear disappears after a while?  Especially if you're two biomes away.

5 min is what I read, IE half a night or day in game.

Thorin

I didn't put it in a chest because I didn't have one with me.  I had all the materials for building, and that filled my inventory to the max.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

hehe here is a hint.  Always have no less than 20 wood blocks on you at all times.  I typically always have a 64 stack before going anywhere.  You will find in my exploration areas workbenches randomly.  And chests are just a workbench and 8 wood blocks away!

But yeah if I can my standard gear up outfit is 2 swords (usually diamonds), 2 pick axes (usually diamonds but ran iron for a whole month), 2 shovels (iron seems fine for me), 1 axe (iron or stone), 1 hoe (stone), stack of arrows, a bow, 64 coal, 64 wood, 64 torches, 64 iron, iron armour, and 40 food (what ever I have - steak seems to be my guys favorite).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Wood is all you need, with wood you can make the basics and live.

Always carry wood

LAAAAAAAAWL
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

All I can say is Strip-mine - where my diamonds come from.  Rarely do I find them cave or cavern exploring.  Always the strip-mine for me.  I know it isn't as efficient to find diamonds as Mr. Analog's corridor mine design, but I need the stone as well for other builds, so I find it as rewarding.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on April 04, 2012, 11:28:49 AM
All I can say is Strip-mine - where my diamonds come from.  Rarely do I find them cave or cavern exploring.  Always the strip-mine for me.  I know it isn't as efficient to find diamonds as Mr. Analog's corridor mine design, but I need the stone as well for other builds, so I find it as rewarding.

The problem is that strip mining takes longer unless you have high level picks already...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 04, 2012, 11:31:18 AM

The problem is that strip mining takes longer unless you have high level picks already...

TNT!

The only trouble is lava...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Hey I started with stone pickaxes.  Soon I had enough iron to get iron pickaxes.  And only in the last 2 weeks have I been using the diamond pickaxes.  How long have I been playing now?

Most of my mine is done with iron pickaxes.  And it is fairly large :D.  Time invested probably higher than Mr. Analogs, but as you said in game, I probably have the highest stock pile of diamonds than anyone.  That being said, I could have been lucky with my mine location - and Tom can check the logs if you think I got any of it from my Op status :P - I assure you I have not.

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on April 04, 2012, 11:31:18 AM

TNT!

The only trouble is lava...

For clearing space yes, but getting resources... TNT bad: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/TNT

QuoteMining using TNT might be faster than mining by hand but it is impractical for gathering resources; about 70% of the blocks are completely destroyed in the process. In addition, TNT is not very effective when used to mine cobblestone and ores and is only time efficient when mining blocks with a low damage resistance, such as dirt or sand. The items needed to make TNT are quite valuable and may be a waste of resources if nothing is gained out of it. Nevertheless, TNT can be a part of efficient mining techniques - as the means of removing unneeded layers of blocks and exposing underlying layers. It can also be used for clearing large volumes for underground building projects.

Still Water, Lava, Obsidian and Bedrock are the only materials that will resist a TNT explosion.

So looks like Diamonds might be destroyed.