The Xbox One has been announced

Started by Lazybones, May 21, 2013, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I saw a funny post last night that was trying to show the Wii-U's shaky launch as prescient in the wake of the XBox and PS4 launches being less than amazing so far.

E3 is so important this year, the titles shown off there will be make or break for everyone.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Bahaha:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

The plan is you can sell pre-owned games to retailers but they have to register the transaction with Microsoft for a FEE which goes back to MS and the Publisher.

So the real motivation behind this model isn't to combat piracy it's to demolish second hand game sales through pure greed.

You stay classy Microsoft!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Publishers have /always/ wanted a cut of used game sales. As if they somehow had a right to it just because they created it.

Sometimes content producers are the most stuck up and asinine group of people. sometimes.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 24, 2013, 09:14:56 AM
Publishers have /always/ wanted a cut of used game sales. As if they somehow had a right to it just because they created it.

Sometimes content producers are the most stuck up and asinine group of people. sometimes.

It's greed, greed is going to take them down. It did a good job in 1983 and it will do its job again if they aren't careful.

This is a GREAT opportunity for Sony though, they should be tooting their horn on used games, which they DO support.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/microsoft-targeting-potentially-upwards-of-a-billion-next-gen-console-unit-sales/0116140 <-- this article quotes a senior VP at Microsoft saying several things:

1. they're expecting to continue to sell the Xbox360 alongside the Xbox One
2. they're expecting another 25mil Xbox360s sold (in other words, another third as much as what VGChartz says they've sold so far)
3. they think there will be 300mil installed current-gen Xboxes (VGChartz says about 77mil)
4. they think there will be 400mil installed next-gen Xboxes
5. they think adding all the non-game-playing extras could boost their sales up to a billion next-gen Xboxes

So...  Is VGChartz really out by a factor of four on their numbers?  Or did the senior VP mean total current-gen consoles, not just Xboxes?  And how delusional is he to predict that every 7th human on Earth will have an Xbox One?  Does he understand there are still large populations of people that don't have basic clean water, leave be electricity?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Units sold is something that is a little fuzzy at times because the only source of information is coming from sales VPs, the 77 mil number comes from sources like this:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/77-million-xbox-360s-sold-6407243

Since Microsoft didn't refute this information we can only assume it's true.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

A vast majority of the best-known VG titles are published by folks who had nothing to do with producing the content itself.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 24, 2013, 10:15:39 AM

A vast majority of the best-known VG titles are published by folks who had nothing to do with producing the content itself.
The publisher often owns the rights, so legally they are the "creator" ;) and these days a lot of the major games are developed by publisher owned studios. so same diff really.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on May 24, 2013, 10:18:57 AM

The publisher often owns the rights, so legally they are the "creator" ;) and these days a lot of the major games are developed by publisher owned studios. so same diff really.

I mainly had issue with "Sometimes content producers are the most stuck up and asinine group of people. sometimes." ... the publishers may legally be "owners" of the content, and are certainly stuck up and asinine, greedy bastards, with very short-term thinking and too commonly display blatant apathy towards those who pay the bills (i.e. consumers), I can't argue with that. Just those who actually design/build the code that makes the magical fun boxes so fun = are usually a VERY different group and don't deserve to be grouped together with the money-grubbing moronic a-holes.

Mr. Analog

Doy, that's how they make da cheddah, but imagine if they could make more cheddah if they didn't even have to waste all that T&M on paying some dev company to make a game.

That said most publishers have in-house development teams, I can't think of any that don't off the top of my head.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 24, 2013, 10:36:56 AM

Doy, that's how they make da cheddah, but imagine if they could make more cheddah if they didn't even have to waste all that T&M on paying some dev company to make a game.

That said most publishers have in-house development teams, I can't think of any that don't off the top of my head.
Some of the larger studios became their own publisher because existing publishers were so stupid.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 24, 2013, 10:36:56 AM

If by "make a game" you meant to say "make a unique game", then EA (and others) already do that via the magic of lazy annual franchise releases, esp. for sports sims. ;)

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 24, 2013, 09:46:44 AM
Units sold is something that is a little fuzzy at times because the only source of information is coming from sales VPs, the 77 mil number comes from sources like this:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/77-million-xbox-360s-sold-6407243

Since Microsoft didn't refute this information we can only assume it's true.

Right, so I don't get why Microsoft's senior VP of interactive entertainment business Yusuf Mehdi claimed there were about 300mil current-gen units out there, unless "unit" was meant to include wiis and ps3s and not just meant as xboxes.  It all seemed like a very dubious throw-numbers-in-the-air exercise where they tried to pump up the XO's future success by saying they were going to sell a billion of them (yes, that was the claim in the article I linked).  That would mean 13 times as many XOs sold as X360s.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Well I should think that's obvious.

"We expect to ship a BILLION units!" == "My brain has been exposed to the oxygen"
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Here's an interesting take on how the Xbox One's always-on Kinect might change our lives:

source: http://ffn.nodwick.com/?p=1180
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful