Xbox 360 Laptop

Started by Darren Dirt, March 13, 2007, 05:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://www.ifgeek.com/2006/09/15/xbox-360-laptop-spotted/

It appears Benjamin Heckendorn at http://benheck.com/ has completely changed a Xbox 360 into a portable version.

He included a 1280?720 progressive-scan LCD VGA into the custom casing. To cut back on the size of the xbox motherboard and components, he watercooled the processer because the heatsink is so large.

He did an excellent job of custom designing a case, integrating a keyboard, integrating a screen, and breaking out the connections on the back.

The Making Of , Photo Gallery

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Very nicely done.  He should sell his plans to Microsoft and they should make this as an alternative to the regular Xbox360.  Take your gaming on the bus with ya! :P
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

much like his other projects it kicks ass.

TheDruid

Quote from: Thorin on March 13, 2007, 09:51:51 PM
Very nicely done.  He should sell his plans to Microsoft and they should make this as an alternative to the regular Xbox360.  Take your gaming on the bus with ya! :P

Take note of the lack of a battery. Wont be playing this baby without a plug in.

Did you notice though. One of the first things he did was flatten all of the capacitors, and yet in one of the final photo's where he jammed everything in they were standing up again!? Me thinks his little water setup may have leaked and ruined a motherboard and didn?t care to admit it ::)

Fresh and still standing...

Soldered down...

Still soldered down

Yep, even soldered here

What the...?

Yeah, from the angle shot they are standing again

Note the major design changes in the water cooling system. His first attempt had one heat sink linked off the other, don?t make sense because your moving the hot water from the first directly onto the second. In the later shots he changed this to run fresh water independently to each of them.
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

TheDruid

nm, the heat sinks are still linked to each other. The hard drive was just in the way of the linking tube, and the way a tube was coiled over the left one it looked like both a feed and a leed. Oh well, but the capacitors are still standing. Probably fried a board, and after buying the second, realized they had the room for them and never bothered flatening them down. I couldnt see why he would go through the trouble of making them stand again?
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Cova

As a person experienced in watercooling PCs - a couple things to note.

First - running your cooling blocks in series typically works better than running them in parallel (unless you have a really crappy pump).  The water doesn't increase in temp noticably passing through one of those blocks (it isn't significantly hotter when entering the second block), however the rate at which water moves through a block does significantly increase the amount of heat it removes, mostly due to increased turbulence in the contact area.  Running things in parallel just decreases the flow-rate through them all, as well as potentially causing flow-problems if one side has significantly higher flow-resistance than the other side.

Second - I agree that it's likely he fried a MB, however it's unlikely that the damage was caused by a leak.  I've leaked coolant onto a powered-on system before, as well as spilling liquids into keyboards/other electronic things, dropped my cell phone into a muddy puddle, etc.  In every case I've just powered-off the device ASAP (remove batteries or unplug, whatever applies), optionally taken it to the sink and washed it depending on what got in it, dry it really well (leave it for at least 24 hours to get any moisture under chips, between very-small details, etc), and it works just fine again afterwards.  The blackberry I'm still using right now spent a day in pieces in my bathroom sink close to a year ago :)  I would say it's far more likely that he fried the board when desoldering and re-soldering all those capacitors - he would have had to extend the leads to every one of them in order to lay them down like that.