JJ Abrams: "the most glorious gaming experience that I've had"

Started by Darren Dirt, May 28, 2013, 03:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Planetfall. The classic Infocom text adventure.

Nerd Level: RIDICULOUS!

(of course, being a Nerd in modern times is a good and respected thing.)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

What the!! How'd I miss this.

Also would the explosion text blink in all caps as you type "GO SOUTH"
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Adults respect nerds more than they used to.  Teens?  There's still lots of meathead jockbois out there that think a keg stand at 15 is the ultimate challenge and those who accept it are the coolest.

It kinda surprised me to hear that the local top-level girls hockey team is rife with drugs and drinking at age 15/16 and that the coaches knew about it and did nothing.  But then I remembered - these same coaches were the meathead jockbois of my generation.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Two words: Geek Chic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek#Geek_chic

I don't even know how to react to it anymore, a lot of stuff that I really loved as a nerdy kid/teen become big popular things with lots of outsiders glomming on in the last 20 years. The very fact that dudebros watch stuff like Doctor Who is quite confusing for someone like me (who probably still has a PBS tote bag with a Tardis on it buried somewhere in the house)

Or maybe I just happen to bump into the right cross-section of people all the time now where before I didn't?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 11, 2013, 04:55:44 PM
The very fact that dudebros watch stuff like Doctor Who is quite confusing for someone like me (who probably still has a PBS tote bag with a Tardis on it buried somewhere in the house)

Cool word, new to me as of about 30 seconds ago!

Paying you back thusly:
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/dudebros

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 11, 2013, 05:34:31 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 11, 2013, 04:55:44 PM
The very fact that dudebros watch stuff like Doctor Who is quite confusing for someone like me (who probably still has a PBS tote bag with a Tardis on it buried somewhere in the house)

Cool word, new to me as of about 30 seconds ago!

Paying you back thusly:
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/dudebros

Luckily I've been wearing the tumblr goggles for a long enough time that most of the crap is ignored, the rest of you though be warned, past yon hyperlink there be dragons

tumblr is an interesting place (per our conversation here) occasionally things will get REALLY popular for brief periods and everyone becomes a fair weather fan (so to speak). It's actually kind of interesting to track trends through the user base and observe how easily and quickly people can be manipulated by clever marketing.

People who bend media for a living certainly have interesting jobs.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Those same dudebros won't go back and watch old third-Doctor episodes.  They're watching Doc-Huu because it's now rife with higher-budget special effects and explosions and such.

Also, my point stands - geek chic and dudebros watching Doctor Who are adults.  Kids are still extremely mean to nerds and geeks amongst them.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Not saying kids aren't jerks

Just saying "geeky" is a genre
By Grabthar's Hammer