Apple iPhone

Started by Lazybones, January 09, 2007, 02:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Thought it needed its own thread ;)
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Below are some size comparisons of two PDA phones on the Canadian market in comparison. I am VERY pleased with the dimensions..

I used the site www.sizeasy.com

Shayne

Considering what it brings to the table that the above do not.  Gah the price though!  Maybe when my profit sharing starts coming in I can do this.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on January 09, 2007, 02:54:38 PM
Considering what it brings to the table that the above do not.  Gah the price though!  Maybe when my profit sharing starts coming in I can do this.

Pricing is a bit higher than the average PDA phone but not really out of this world... Stil less than the first Razr's from what I recall. Probably not in everyones buget that is for sure, but it is one DAMN slick device.

Shayne

I think thats part of my problem Lazy.  I own a Razr and I have not a single complaint about it (other then lack of USB2), as a phone it functions perfectly what what I need.  Its fantastically small and resilient (metal body), great looks, fantastic battery life, etc.  To replace it with something that is far bigger, but yet a convergence device, has me on the fence.

I have wanted to a video iPod but not the ones offered.  I want something thats exactly like the iPhone is.  Roughly iPod size, wide high resolution screen with good battery life and lots of space (would be nice to be codec rich as well).

I bet the iPhone is totally one of those "once you use it you can't live without it" devices but as of right now I dont own a PDA and I dont feel lost without access to the internet no matter where I am.

I bet I impulse buy this damn thing.

Lazybones

Multi use devices have trade offs..

Question is? How much more does this cost than your video iPod? You can still just pop your SIM into the Razr for the weekend if you want as well..

I love/hate my 6700 brick. I can't even recommend it to anyone, however I hold on to it for the things it DOES do well.

Shayne

You make a good call Lazy, the SIM card allows that so easily.

Shayne

QuoteTop 5 Worst Things About The iPhone

1) Cingular. They're North America's largest cellular network, so it makes sense for Apple to deal with them. But it would have been far better if Apple had taken on the carriers' chokehold on handset provisioning wholesale, and simply sold unlocked phones.

2) 8GB Flash drive. For many, it will be more than enough, but the iPhone won't kill the iPod until drive sizes start matching the needs of MP3-era music libraries. My fear is that Apple will stick to its guns and stick with Flash media as it grows to 16GB and beyond, but a second-gen iPhone with magnetic storage is an obvious upgrade path.

3) Built-in battery. Apple's bothersome tradition of non-user-servicable batteries continues. There's no reason to do this, frankly, aside from the kind of implied "we're aesthetic obsessives" claim that Apple still gets away with.

4) No 3G. Fast internet is the horse, 3G is one hind leg.

5) With all those features, a QWERTY keyboard stashed within (somehow) would be the perfect way to turn this little beast into Apple's answer to the UMPC: a cheap, fully-featured computing device in addition to a phone and music player.

Source: http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/01/top_5_worst_thi.html

I don't agree with 5.  Instead of their 5 I would put...lack of Exchange connectivity.

Shayne

I think its very very likely that they release a nano version of this phone in the future.  Remove a lot of the web and productivity stuff, make it smaller yet and be a music/phone

Lazybones

My opinion of that list
1. As stated in another interview.. Cingular was the ONLY provider willing to modify their network to support the phone.. The new conference calling features and visual voice mail require network support.

2. Battery life!!!!!!!

3. For some this IS a BIG problem, for me... I haven't had a second battery for my last 3 phones... my current one can be topped up anywhere... Most people ditch their phone for the next big thing around the same life span as a the battery anyway.

4. For a device with such a nice browser, it is a shame.. at least they also have WiFi and 802.11G at that.

5. What and make it thick like every other PPC phone with a slide out keyboard?

Lazybones

Shayne

1.  I was aware of that, but still its a little rough.  Hard to get a foothold in the market when people are already in contracts at a dozen different providers.  With custom mods needed for the network what is the chances that Rogers does it in Canada?

2.  I agree, but I still want 120GB :)

3.  At $600, replacing every couple years isn't really an option i'd think (a throw away $99 phone sure).  I haven't purchases a second battery either, however if I had something like this, having that option would be nice.  Granted I have an 4G iPod thats already showing a rather large decrease in battery life (under 5 hours) and its batter is not technically replaceable.

4.  I'm not sure what this really means.  Im guessing its decreased bandwidth.

5.  It's got an on screen keyboard damn it!

I showed my boss who is an uber blackberry guy and he couldnt stop asking me questions.  Sheer lust for that little device.  Maybe I can swing a deal where I get one too.  Company expense and all.

Lazybones

4. It is the difference in speed between 300kbit/s and about 1.2 Mbits per second over the wireless phone network.. Telus already offers 3G data speeds with their EVDO. Rogers EDGE is only 2G and is expected to go 3G (3rd Generation) soon.

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Shayne

That is damn funny.  Yesterday they were reporting that Cisco and Apple were in talks and that Apple was going to sign the final copy.  Guess maybe Cisco saw what Apple was bringing to the table and wants a cut?  Interesting stuff.  They settle though and Apple gets the name.

Lazybones

How do you carry the HYPE of your product for 6 months until its launch? Law suite....

Good or bad people will not forget that Apple has a new phone from now till then.