Warmachine Campaign Update and Question

Started by MrBigRed, March 12, 2009, 09:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrBigRed

Hey Guys,

I'm almost done the rules and thought I would outline my changes and see if any ideas sound good or bad.

- I'm going to combine the recon and strategic points into one point type: battle points (help me think of a better name).  The 500pt games will just cost more battle points.  The Battle Points will also be used to by bonds and modify terrain.
- Keep the Control Points and the winning conditions.
- Change the battles to ones in the standard rule books or ones I make up and include the rules for all to read.  There will be fewer possible missions to start with for the benefit of newer players.  We can add more as needed.

I'd like to keep this champain beginner friendly, at least in the begining.  To accomplish this I was thinking of limiting the number of different models/units you can take.  There are so many units/models available now that is can get very confusing for new players, and experienced players.  Limiting the number of units available and gradually add new ones allow beginners to slowly get introduced into new units.

To start the campaign everyone starts with a battle box, or equivalent (280-320pts of Warcaster and Jacks only).  You use this same list for the first couple of battles and then use Battle Points to buy access to new units.  For example, Menoth starts off with the following list which is used for the first 3 battles:
- Kreoss
- Repenter
- Revenger
- Crusader

After a couple games the Menoth player wants to expand is selection of troops.  He spends Battle Points to do so (haven't determined the cost yet) to make the Choir and Knights Examplar units available.  Now the Menoth player can use any of the following units to create lists:

- Kreoss
- Repenter
- Revenger
- Crusader
- Choir
- Knights

They are still limited to the point size of the game (350 or 500pts) but has greater flexibility when creating the army.

How does limiting the units sound to everyone?  Good, bad, or ugly?

- Chris

Mr. Analog

Everything sounds spot on so far, now I just have to actually place my orders online...
By Grabthar's Hammer

The Silver Surfer

or do you want to 350 pt, with just 'jacks and warcasters

The Silver Surfer

are we going to set a date to start playing?

TheDruid

Hey guys, mind if i join in?

Silver Surfer mentioned that he had a spare army that i could use.
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Mr. Analog

I'm not sure what's going to work for me, this Friday may be open?

Ehh, TheDruid, you're always welcome!
By Grabthar's Hammer

The Silver Surfer

this friday works for me too, ordering your army in then Mr.A?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: The Silver Surfer on March 15, 2009, 05:09:51 PM
this friday works for me too, ordering your army in then Mr.A?

Yup, I don't think it will be here by then but we'll see...
By Grabthar's Hammer

The Silver Surfer

nice, was it just the battle group, or more than that?

The Silver Surfer

do we want to play a bit, or just go out for beer, and talk about it?

Mr. Analog

Here's a nutty idea:

How 'bout we get together Sunday, bring some steaks for the BBQ and rap about how we're gonna run this thing?

I'd like to free up Friday night because I'm working on an art project I'd like to get done Saturday and I'm running out of week hahaha :)

AT THE VERY LEAST come over Sunday, we'll play some Street Fighter and have a few wobbly pops.
By Grabthar's Hammer

The Silver Surfer

that sounds good to me, Mr.A, give me a call, what time, and if we should bring our Warmachine stuff

Mr. Analog

Quote from: The Silver Surfer on March 19, 2009, 01:07:22 PM
that sounds good to me, Mr.A, give me a call, what time, and if we should bring our Warmachine stuff

Will do, I'll send out another e-mail on Sunday. But I'll call all y'all tomorrow or Saturday morning.
By Grabthar's Hammer

TheDruid

Got the email and the Word doc. Good stuff.
Sundays is supper with the in-laws day. So typically i cant make it out for anything on that day.

Im free tommaorw (Friday)  ;D
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

The Silver Surfer

do we want to try again for this weekend? I cant do it on saturday night, but any other time is fine right now, almost over my cold, just have the cough, Mr.A, call me when you battle force comes in, so I can start painting it