Yeah, why exactly do I find MMOs "fun"? ...

Started by Darren Dirt, September 10, 2005, 08:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy/topic.asp?fid=1422&tid=1703495

[[conclusion]] MMORPGs are not fun, they are would-be social interaction on a power scale, and at the top of the scale are those who give the company the most of their money, the actual game is non-existent and online power replaces what is more often than not, a poor social life.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Probably true to some degree, but even solo I like CoH and WoW for game play aspects.

But for long term play, social power does play a significant roll. Hence if all your friends stop playing, you feel less compelled to play your self.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Lazybones"Probably true to some degree, but even solo I like CoH and WoW for game play aspects.

But for long term play, social power does play a significant roll. Hence if all your friends stop playing, you feel less compelled to play your self.

Hence my maximum-length friends list -- when I find good Tankers, Defenders, Controllers... They're on the /friend list :)

But yeah, I think there is a grain of sand of truth in the parody linked, and less than that in the "commentary". Me likes the CoH, me getting CoV *today* I think... So if I ain't havin' fun then what the hell is wrong with me? ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.