Infinity Blade (iPod/iPhone/iPad)

Started by Lazybones, November 08, 2010, 09:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4MTaQ8KkUM
QuoteEpic Games and Chair Entertainment's debut "Infinity Blade" trailer. "Infinity Blade," will be available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch this holiday season. Originally introduced as "Project Sword" during the September 2010 Apple Special Event in San Francisco and featured in the latest ad campaigns for iPhone 4 and iPad, ChAIR's ground-breaking new game will be the first to bring the power of Epic's Unreal Engine 3 to Apple's world-class gaming platforms.

Makes that annoying PSP ad look silly doesn't it..

I think Nintendo and Sony have a REAL problem brewing in the mobile gaming space.

Mr. Analog

I'm not so sure Nintendo has much to worry about, their portable gaming arm is surprisingly wide reaching and a major revenue stream for the company. But still this marks a new era in handheld gaming, the question though is how great the game really is, that will make it or break it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/nintendo-admits-apple-iphone-is-ds-competitor-621316 Nintendo admits the iPhone is a competitor and Sony runs attack ads that Phones are stupid get a PSP ads

Mr. Analog

Sony is riddled with... Sony Think. A dying breed of thought with any luck, mass incompetence like that is literally a national disgrace to Japan.

On the up side though they're that delicious combination of evil and bumbling that makes for a great villain, I think a band of super-ninjas should fight them once a week!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on November 08, 2010, 09:54:58 PM
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/nintendo-admits-apple-iphone-is-ds-competitor-621316 Nintendo admits the iPhone is a competitor and Sony runs attack ads that Phones are stupid get a PSP ads

I was surprised to find that article was from 14 months ago.

Nintendo will need to beef up the processor in its DS and DSi to get adults to consider it more - my daughter was all excited about being able to go on the internet through wireless, only to drop her shoulders in defeat when she found out the DSi can't run anything Flash (which is pretty much everything she plays on the internet).  Now, the iPhone doesn't run Flash anything yet, either, but at least it's processor could.

For adults considering iPhone vs DSi, the real question they're asking is, "phone with ability to play games, or game rig and phone separate?"
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 09, 2010, 08:29:38 AM
Sony is riddled with... Sony Think. A dying breed of thought with any luck, mass incompetence like that is literally a national disgrace to Japan.

On the up side though they're that delicious combination of evil and bumbling that makes for a great villain, I think a band of super-ninjas should fight them once a week!

For the cartoon version I suggest Dee Snider as the evil supervillain, and of course JB+KG as 2 of the ninjas.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on November 09, 2010, 09:18:10 AMNintendo will need to beef up the processor in its DS and DSi to get adults to consider it more - my daughter was all excited about being able to go on the internet through wireless, only to drop her shoulders in defeat when she found out the DSi can't run anything Flash (which is pretty much everything she plays on the internet).  Now, the iPhone doesn't run Flash anything yet, either, but at least it's processor could.

I dunno, Flash has been a real problem on pretty much all Apple platforms and I believe Jobs is stubbornly opposed to it anyway. My hope is that with the advent of HTML 5 devices won't be locked into Adobe's World of EvilTM but that's a long way from happening. The big gripe I have with the DSi browser is that it does not identify itself as a mobile platform which makes navigating some sites impossible even though they have a mobile alternative (i.e. deviantArt).

Quote from: Thorin on November 09, 2010, 09:18:10 AMFor adults considering iPhone vs DSi, the real question they're asking is, "phone with ability to play games, or game rig and phone separate?"

Exactly, the iPhone has shown itself to be extremely proficient in widget shovelware games, this scares Nintendo because that's pretty much the DSi market (except the DSi market has MUCH more ceremony around buying stuff).

That said the DSi has a lot of excellent and compelling software available. For every 10 shovelware titles there is a true gem, not sure if that could be said about the iPhone but from a seller's perspective you can guess which one is going to make more money.

I guess if Nintendo is a typical Japanese company, it will do nothing in hopes that the way it set up its portable gaming division will just simply continue to dominate. If they are progressive they will figure out a way to make developing titles and distributing them much, much easier. And of course if they offered portable Flash support, well that would be an instant hit THIS year but could become superfluous in 2-3 years.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Flash games do not really work on tablets and phones that do run flash. Mostly because flash games depend on mouse up and down events or keyboards that do not exist on touch screen devices.

Darren Dirt

"shovelware titles" ... refernce to Atari2600 "E.T."?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 09, 2010, 09:03:01 PM
"shovelware titles" ... refernce to Atari2600 "E.T."?

Remember those CD-ROMs you could get with like 100 crappy games on them? That's shovelware, as in shoveling more crap on the pile makes the pile better. Works for "collection" games, or mini-game games or downloadable game stores with tons of crap software.

Lots of uses!
By Grabthar's Hammer