No Man's Sky

Started by Mr. Analog, August 12, 2016, 08:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

OK after a few weird glitches today (was getting weird flickering for a while) I've finally gotten into the game. I created a new save which was KEY the planet I started on was quite pleasant, big open fields, nice warm temperatures a good variety of life and material nearby

I've made it to my first space station and my first outpost as well as an abandoned outpost. There is a lot to do which amounts to busy work, the "Sentinels" are there to just stop you from flooding the market from mining, it's a bit unrealistic but I get it

Anyway, this game is kinda slow and plodding and is both fascinating and frustrating. When you start finding interesting things the game opens up, but there's a lot of nothin' too

I'm having fun with it now (it's almost 1:30!) but I would wait for a sale if I were you
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 19, 2016, 01:22:04 AM
Anyway, this game is kinda slow and plodding and is both fascinating and frustrating. When you start finding interesting things the game opens up, but there's a lot of nothin' too

Bingo

I also get strange flickering when on the space stations only.

FYI pirates will attack you if you leave orbit with a large amount of gold or high value cargo as well.

If you run into the large transport ships in orbit attacking them for resources will also get you attacked. 

Mr. Analog

So far the only commodities I've seen that have a positive value are basics like carbon and plutonium

Crafted items and found items also fetch a good price (usually)

The crafting system is still a bit weird to me
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 19, 2016, 09:27:22 AM

It is more of a slot scarcity system

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 19, 2016, 09:36:32 AM

LOL! This is true

I *think* found the recipe to craft more slots, I even bought what I thought was a component now I can't find the recipe again (OH NOOOOOOOO!)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 19, 2016, 09:37:46 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on August 19, 2016, 09:36:32 AM

LOL! This is true

I *think* found the recipe to craft more slots, I even bought what I thought was a component now I can't find the recipe again (OH NOOOOOOOO!)

Suit slots upgrades are found in those little drop ships that have a holo backpack on them, you get the slot instantly. There are also upgrade terminals on the space stations after you find an Atlas 1 pass.

Guns are upgraded by replacing the gun, same with ships.. You need to find them.. They game will automaticly make them + or - 1 or 2 the current number of slots of you gun or ship.

Mr. Analog

I've upgraded my tool and my ship

I wish there was a way to transfer fuel
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 19, 2016, 01:39:55 PM

W
Especially the warp fuel.

You can deconstruct some of the upgrades into raw materials and transfer those.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 19, 2016, 01:43:45 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 19, 2016, 01:39:55 PM

W
Especially the warp fuel.

You can deconstruct some of the upgrades into raw materials and transfer those.

Tru
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I think I'll play later today after I work on my app. :D Refactoring time. Memory leak fixing. Aka: android and 3rd party libs suck.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Played for about three hours last night. Its cool, but i started getting insane flickering in dialogs with npcs and some pther screens. Its seizure inducing bad. :(

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on August 20, 2016, 02:10:15 PM
Played for about three hours last night. Its cool, but i started getting insane flickering in dialogs with npcs and some pther screens. Its seizure inducing bad. :(

Yep that is what I was seeing as well, fortunately on specific types of structures but super bad.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on August 20, 2016, 02:54:27 PM
Quote from: Tom on August 20, 2016, 02:10:15 PM

Yep that is what I was seeing as well, fortunately on specific types of structures but super bad.
i googled and it seems to be related to the steam fps being on or the steam overlay. People have reported turning either off will fix it. Havent tried it yet. Possibly it might have been me changing to uncapped fps that did it as well. I get decent framerates.

Tom

Yup, disabling the FPS counter stopped the constant flickering, but it comes back temporarily when steam pops something up. Disabling the overlay entirely fixes it completely.

Tom

I have spent so many hours exploring one single planet... I don't think I'll be doing that again lool. Almost finished hitting the waypoints, then I'll go find that orb I missed at the beginning to allow me on the Atlas path...