Minecraft 1.17 : The Caves & Cliffs Update

Started by Lazybones, October 03, 2020, 03:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

Woo getting close now! So do we start a new server for this update or hold off?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 01, 2021, 07:32:55 PMWoo getting close now! So do we start a new server for this update or hold off?

I am super annoyed that world generation doesn't change till part 2 (or via a datapack that may change).. That for me is the biggest reason to start a clean world when part 2 is released.

But again I am open to suggestions.

Mr. Analog

So the new update dropped are we going to update the current server or are we going to create a new world?

I'm curious about when we get the rest of the update of course but who knows how far away that is.

My vote is to update the current map that way we at least get the new blocks n stuff

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 10, 2021, 08:41:54 AMMy vote is to update the current map that way we at least get the new blocks n stuff

Looks like the vanila tweaks data packs have been updated so those QoL fixes can be applied... Not sure about some of the other data packs however.

Haven't been able to find out if Overviewer will work or not just yet.

I may look into this on the weekend but it might be a bit longer.

As a lot of the current map has been explored you would have to go very far out to find new blocks or I GUESS? deeper?

This is one thing I haven't researched.. Can we even update the current world given the new depth changes?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on June 10, 2021, 09:49:51 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 10, 2021, 08:41:54 AMMy vote is to update the current map that way we at least get the new blocks n stuff

Looks like the vanila tweaks data packs have been updated so those QoL fixes can be applied... Not sure about some of the other data packs however.

Haven't been able to find out if Overviewer will work or not just yet.

I may look into this on the weekend but it might be a bit longer.

As a lot of the current map has been explored you would have to go very far out to find new blocks or I GUESS? deeper?

This is one thing I haven't researched.. Can we even update the current world given the new depth changes?
That's a good question!

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

https://github.com/overviewer/Minecraft-Overviewer/releases/tag/v0.17.0

Looks like I have some research and testing to do....

https://github.com/Querz/mcaselector

The tool I use to shrink the map also appears to be updated.

Will do more research...

LennyLen

I've been doing some mining, so I've come across some of the new blocks such as deepslate and tuff, as well as copper ore.  I haven't been taking screenshots of these, as they look a bit weird at the moment as my texturepack (pureBDcraft) hasn't been updated to 1.17 yet.

I've been mining at y = {9,10} and it's been pretty rewarding.  I tested using without fortune, and in about half an hour I'd amassed 96 copper, 230 iron, ~500 each of coal and redstone, 157 lapis lazuli, 18 diamonds, and 21 emeralds.  The emeralds definitely seem a lot more common now.

I haven't come across any caves yet, just a few abandoned mineshafts.

edit:  I just realized that while I crafted a non-fortune pickaxe to use for the mining, I forgot to equip it, so those results were with fortune 2, and not as rewarding as I'd thought. Though the emerald count still seems far higher than before.

edit2: I just read that the new cave systems can't spawn in normal worlds, so I guess I won't look too hard for them then.

Lazybones

Quote from: LennyLen on June 17, 2021, 03:17:54 AMedit2: I just read that the new cave systems can't spawn in normal worlds, so I guess I won't look too hard for them then.

They split the update into two parts, while this update contained new mobs, block and items etc. They moved NEARLY all of the new terrain generation changes to the next update, hence why we didn't reset the server map. You may find Geodes generating however along with those other new blocks you discovered.. Glow berries may be found in some mine chests and the wondering trader may have new items.

Edit: There is a whole collections of discussion on the 1.17 changes in this thread https://forums.rwoc.ca/index.php?topic=12237.0

Mr. Analog

I just found out thru my Discord server that the second half of the update will be rolled into .18 which isn't due for 6 months!!

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

Those bouncing goats! LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer