Plex media server is slick

Started by Lazybones, June 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

My primary viewer is my xbox, which is kept pretty on par with the PC version of the client which is the same build I would assume.

I also have a Roku Ultra in my bedroom for the wired aspect... hate using wireless with Plex.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on December 29, 2021, 11:31:58 PMMy primary viewer is my xbox, which is kept pretty on par with the PC version of the client which is the same build I would assume.

I also have a Roku Ultra in my bedroom for the wired aspect... hate using wireless with Plex.

I would prefer to use wired connections however it isn't practical where my TVs are located. All 3 of the Apple TV 4K units are on 5Ghz WiFi.

Thorin

I've got a couple of Roku 4 Premiere+.  Dunno how the credential caching works, I do know that when the Plex Auth servers got borked I was unable to switch from one Managed User to another Managed User, but I was still able to use the main Plex Account those Managed Users exist under.

Lazy, do you have Managed Users set up within your main Plex Account for your kids, or do they each have their own Plex Account?  If Managed Users, are you _sure_ you're able to switch from one to the other on a device when your internet drops?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on December 30, 2021, 04:21:05 PMI've got a couple of Roku 4 Premiere+.  Dunno how the credential caching works, I do know that when the Plex Auth servers got borked I was unable to switch from one Managed User to another Managed User, but I was still able to use the main Plex Account those Managed Users exist under.

Lazy, do you have Managed Users set up within your main Plex Account for your kids, or do they each have their own Plex Account?  If Managed Users, are you _sure_ you're able to switch from one to the other on a device when your internet drops?

It works as you described, it lets you continue to use the current account during an outage not switch between managed accounts.

My kids also tend to use the Downloads / Sync feature so outages rarely ever would phase them anyway on their personal devices

Mr. Analog

Just discovered that Plex doesn't support OGG.

I tried converting to mp4 using Handbrake but it didn't pick those files up either. I hurt my thumb on a screw this morning too, to say I'm unhappy r/n would be an understatement
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 31, 2021, 07:29:42 AMJust discovered that Plex doesn't support OGG.

I tried converting to mp4 using Handbrake but it didn't pick those files up either. I hurt my thumb on a screw this morning too, to say I'm unhappy r/n would be an understatement
That sux... there are quite a few converters out there for ogg, but I don't have an experience with that format.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on December 31, 2021, 06:43:13 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 31, 2021, 07:29:42 AMJust discovered that Plex doesn't support OGG.

That sux... there are quite a few converters out there for ogg, but I don't have an experience with that format.
Ya like I said I tried to convert to MP4 using handbrake but Plex just doesn't seem to want to pick it up

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 31, 2021, 06:54:30 PM

Ya like I said I tried to convert to MP4 using handbrake but Plex just doesn't seem to want to pick it up

Probably worth splitting to another thread but Plex should transcode Ogg, is just doesn't nativly support it for direct play as far as I have read.

Would be interested in seeing the Mediainfo output for the original file. Changing the container doesn't do much you need to know what codec the video, audio streams are.. and ensure you are changing those.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on December 31, 2021, 06:58:52 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 31, 2021, 06:54:30 PM

Probably worth splitting to another thread but Plex should transcode Ogg, is just doesn't nativly support it for direct play as far as I have read.

Would be interested in seeing the [Mediainfo](https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) output for the original file. Changing the container doesn't do much you need to know what codec the video, audio streams are.. and ensure you are changing those.
When I get home I'll try extracting it

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

QuotePlex laid off 37 people on Monday, a figure that represents more than 20 percent of the company's staff
So they had around 160 employees to begin with?  That's a pretty small amount of employees for a multinational company...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I hope this isn't a bad sign, but just a sign of economics.

Lazybones

I will keep using it till it doesn't do what I need.

Jellyfin/Emby should be viable alternatives now but with some pros and cons.