Main Menu

FALLOUT 4

Started by Mr. Analog, June 02, 2015, 11:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Combine one of my favourite songs with my favourite game?

Fallout 4: The Wanderer Trailer:
https://youtu.be/k3IlHBBGCIw
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 08, 2015, 10:16:00 AM
Quote from: Tom on October 08, 2015, 09:57:55 AM
Wow, those are some crazy minimum specs.

I'm not super surprised, the game is large and full of details. But yeah: Beefy

I suspect these will be min specs for as long as the current gen of consoles is kicking around for a lot of AAA games, it should be said that the game is going to be framelocked on consoles at 30 fps

On that note, WOW, I am really impressed by this -- (I'm sure you guys already saw this, but if not here ya go) 22 minutes of gameplay as demo'd by Bethesda (August 2015) -- including the initial character building.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 22, 2015, 09:07:27 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 08, 2015, 10:16:00 AM
Quote from: Tom on October 08, 2015, 09:57:55 AM
Wow, those are some crazy minimum specs.

I'm not super surprised, the game is large and full of details. But yeah: Beefy

I suspect these will be min specs for as long as the current gen of consoles is kicking around for a lot of AAA games, it should be said that the game is going to be framelocked on consoles at 30 fps

On that note, WOW, I am really impressed by this -- (I'm sure you guys already saw this, but if not here ya go) 22 minutes of gameplay as demo'd by Bethesda (August 2015) -- including the initial character building.

S'gonna be big yeah

As a reminder to those with PS4 / XBone consoles this game WILL be framelocked at 30 fps.

PC will be the only platform that supports 60+ fps out of the box
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

So, there have been leaks ... a LOT of leaks and Bethesda is mad (quoting one dev from twitter: "[it's] like watching somebody else open your Christmas presents early)

I really can't blame people, everything about this game was held so tightly under wraps the urge to want to find out more was insatiable. It is human nature to be curious after all

Keeping things like this under wraps is actually a very risky thing to do, if you want an example of how badly it can go take a look at the marketing campaign for the Edsel. People knew it was coming, there was a great deal of speculation and hype built up around the car under the blanket and when it released it flopped (despite having a lot of innovations that people enjoy in their vehicles today, like being able to shift gears on the steering wheel and mandatory seat belts, etc)

Much like the Edsel reveal, the leaks have really tainted the public view of the game, people being critical about graphics, map size and even the story.

Bethesda posted their official launch trailer yesterday and while YouTube comments are generally @%&# they really reflect the controversies that surround the leaked information (you can tell a lot about what a troll will pick as their hook; graphics, map size, story, voice acting, writing, etc)

https://youtu.be/X5aJfebzkrM

To make things worse it looks like a lot of people who pre-ordered the special edition have had their pre-orders cancelled with no explanation, some vendors support lines have been completely clogged.

Anyway, this isn't the worst PR disaster around a game release ever but it's certainly going to change how early review copies are distributed from Bethesda in the future

Ideally it changes how some game publishers create a veil of secrecy around their products. While its nice to get a surprise once in a while it seems like the distance between the "reveal" and the actual release work against the publisher
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

WHY U TEAS ME LIEK DIS

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Using Extra Life Internet to do so!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Trying to avoid spoilers over the last few days has been rough, but the day is almost finally here

AUGH can't wait!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Is that eighty bucks for the pre-load, or for the whole game?  And I'm surprised it's eighty bucks for the game, even...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on November 09, 2015, 07:29:04 PM
Is that eighty bucks for the pre-load, or for the whole game?  And I'm surprised it's eighty bucks for the game, even...

Pretty standard for a AAA game on launch

I pre-ordered back when it was announced at E3, thankfully the exchange was better then
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Started tonight at 10pm mst. Anyone get to play?.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on November 09, 2015, 11:57:36 PM
Started tonight at 10pm mst. Anyone get to play?.

YES

I'm going to get sucked into this game holy crap

My only gripe so far is the perk system is confusing, just give me a list

I only just stopped playing and I want to start playing already again
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I won't be starting until tonight as I had things last night and some still today to do.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on November 10, 2015, 08:13:14 AM
I won't be starting until tonight as I had things last night and some still today to do.

Right on, hey I don't know how much time you put into F3 or F:NV but if you are used to those games you will have to re-map the VATS button, in F4 it's Q (in previous games it's V)

I was frantically hitting V at one point and NO VATS, slightly confusing as most everything is the same controls

Other Critical UI thoughts below, read at own risk

Changes to the Pip-Boy UI are irritating, while yes it does now appear that my character is navigating a bulky nonsensical device it means that I am navigating a bulky nonsensical UI. I hope there's a mod for this that cleans this up.

Changes to the VATS UI is also annoying, where in previous games it would darken the screen and actively highlight the selected enemy to make it clear who you selected in F4 it mangles everything into a difficult to read blob of numbers if there are multiple enemies. Nothing like putting all your Action Points into different parts of 1 enemy you thought where 3 different ones

I suspect that VATS and AP usage (which really added the RP element, as in your characters can be a better shot than you are) was tossed aside when they updated the run n' gun aspects. Run and gun feels better but again, you can't really track statuses as well as the previous games. If you are outside in the overworld and make significant progress quicksave button is going to be your friend

Most Fallout games have really dangerous areas, so map quicksave is something most of us know for sure

Companion UI ... I don't understand the controls yet for the dog, it seems to shift mode without much warning. As well if you are in an area that has traps make sure the dog is set to sit still because they will trip every bottlecap mine they find. This is vastly annoying

Finally the biggest problem of all is informational notifications aren't stored in the Pip-Boy log and often you will get an instruction on how to do something, a status update and a tip popup overlap each other so that you can't actually read the tutorial information. I accidentally went into "build" mode, you should have seen how many popups I got over top of each other, then when the maelstrom was over I couldn't actually build anything. It tells me I have the materials to build a bed, but I can't build one and there's no indication of why at all just ... nothing? Maybe there was some information on how to do it, maybe not, I will never know. There is a tutorial section as a series of quests but I kinda don't want to piss around with that stuff but I feel like I have to learn it now which means not doing the stuff I want to do :/

ANYWAY fun as HELL and I can't wait to get back into it
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I haven't played Fallout since the original, so all new to me!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on November 10, 2015, 09:05:57 AM
I haven't played Fallout since the original, so all new to me!

Oh wow you are in for a treat then :)
By Grabthar's Hammer