Best case for airflow?

Started by Mr. Analog, January 10, 2021, 10:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

My current case gets HOT, disturbingly hot when under load. It was built to be quiet more than anything else and while my system is at rest it IS very quiet. So maybe time for a case upgrade

I've been looking through MemEx's list of cases (in Edmonton) and there's a dazzling array to choose from and I just don't know what would be a good fit for me.

Anybody got any recommendations?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

It isn't just the case it is the fans / coolers you put in them.

Right at the top of the list there the Meshify / mesh front cases do a great job of letting air in https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX68834

Just double check how big your mother board is.

Also your current case might just need cleaning, cable management and more fans.

As for being quiet nearly all boards have fan controllers on them now that can control 3 or 4 wire fans (4 wire are meant to be controlled) this lets you run the fans quiet at low temps and then crank them for air flow as the temps increase.

Mr. Analog

That's a nice looking case, my motherboard is an Asus Z87-Pro so I'm pretty sure it would fit, I might look at getting more fans in my current case but it's pretty tight in there as is

Cables are pretty well managed in there the only loose cables are the two extra power leads Melbosa helped me with yesterday otherwise the rest are tucked away.

Like I said my main concern at the moment is heat, when I play Cyberpunk 2077 the top of my case gets very hot, I don't have any temp monitors installed so I can't say for sure just how hot things are getting but I'm concerned about frying my system
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Adding fans may help, but as you said your case may not be designed for the best airflow, although it is pretty big.

NZXT is probably one of the leaders right now in airflow and case design.  If you were going down that route, you would first need to see what fan controls your mobo can support and then if enough I would say:

Liquid cooling systems today are way easier to install and deal with than they were in the past.  Its basically as easy to install as a CPU Heatsync and Fan, you just have to really decide where to put the fans that need to be connected to the hoses.  It all comes preassembled and primed, so you don't have to worry about airgap issues or anything.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

Oh and if you are worried about mobo fitting, just go with an EATX as those cases will take all the mobo sizes smaller as well.

Mr. Analog

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely look into options

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Worried about nothing. I'm running HWMonitor and it says my CPU is hitting a max of 70°C and my GPU is hitting 77°C, mobo is only hitting 39°C

All within tolerable limits

I guess I'm just not used to pushing my system this hard and actually feeling the heat come off it

I may still look at a new case though, we'll see.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa