Minecraft 1.18 The Caves & Cliffs Update Part 2

Started by Lazybones, July 13, 2021, 02:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Yeah, so set up auto-smelters to do a bunch of stacks of stuff, then cook one item manually in the furnace and remove it, and you'll get a swarm of xp orbs around you.  Xisuma showed back in 1.13 that if you smelt 100,000 stacks of iron ore, the resulting xp orb swarm lags the server down to 1fps, and you go skyrocketing through the levels (his levels were still rapidly increasing at 298).

I'm just not sure how you'd do make it so one or more smelted items are left behind in the furnace for you to take out.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I tried this yesterday and it works! I gained 10 levels in one go

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on December 13, 2021, 11:29:21 PMI'm just not sure how you'd do make it so one or more smelted items are left behind in the furnace for you to take out.

Aww that is the catch.. hmmm

Quick search shows that a comparator can be used but for it to work the fuel level needs to be known. Also that would be hard to fit into a tiled design.

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 14, 2021, 03:13:04 AMI tried this yesterday and it works! I gained 10 levels in one go

Cool!  How did you leave one or more smelted items in the furnace?  Did you place an unsmelted ore and a piece of fuel manually, wait for it to smelt, then take it out?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on December 14, 2021, 04:16:08 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 14, 2021, 03:13:04 AMI tried this yesterday and it works! I gained 10 levels in one go

Cool!  How did you leave one or more smelted items in the furnace?  Did you place an unsmelted ore and a piece of fuel manually, wait for it to smelt, then take it out?

I temporarily disconnected my hopper and whammo! Tons o' levels!
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

I made an automated super-smelter to smelter items quickly, and you can use the same method (disconnect hopper, then smelt an item by hand), but you need to use it on every furnace in the array to get all the xp.

Lazybones

LennyLen

Can the Cave render be added to Overviewer.  The area under the spawn is starting to get cramped so anyone wanting to do any mining around there might want to see where other people have already been.

Lazybones

Quote from: LennyLen on December 14, 2021, 06:54:34 PMCan the Cave render be added to Overviewer.  The area under the spawn is starting to get cramped so anyone wanting to do any mining around there might want to see where other people have already been.

There are two problems with cave rendering in Overviewer with 1.18.

1. There is A LOT of natural spawning light sources in the new generation, it used to be just be lava. Now torches, moss, glow berries and a few other things emit light and spoil what is everywhere in every chunk.
2. Overviewer can't render negative -y values or the extra hight values in 1.18.. The hight isn't as much of an issue as it is rare for any mountain to be that high or for players to build there, but the negative depth cuts off the caves really early.

I have been holding off enabling that render for those reasons.. I had it on for a short time but it looked terrible.

LennyLen

Oh well. It would be nice, but it's not super important.

Mr. Analog

I built a smokestack for my factory building, I think it looks pretty good

Now I have to figure out what to build next. Maybe a Motel?
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

@Thorin

How did you get enough string for all that scaffolding you have? I'm after quite a lot.

Thorin

Quote from: LennyLen on January 04, 2022, 12:52:29 AM@Thorin

How did you get enough string for all that scaffolding you have? I'm after quite a lot.

Got caught out at night with spiders hunting me, like a lot of times.  I gathered it the hard way.  One spider makes zero to twelve scaffolding (0-2 strings dropped, each string makes 6 scaffolding), I had a lot of nights.  A lot.  I had 109 strings when I made my scaffolding, and still have a few left, I think.  I have, like, 9 stacks of scaffolding or something crazy.

You could also find an abandoned mineshaft and chop all the cobwebs down with a sword, each cobweb gives a string.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

LennyLen

I killed a ton of spiders and only had 2 pieces of string drop, so I figured they must have lowered the drop rate.  I guess I was just very, very unlucky.

I guess I'll keep trying that method and see if the luck improves as I don't think I've found any mineshafts yet.

Mr. Analog

There's a big mineshaft in my old iron mine, I plan on going down there to get chains n' stuff because they're just so expensive and I want to do some decorating. If I find string I'll save it for you
By Grabthar's Hammer