Main Menu

Oilers 2021-22

Started by Thorin, September 26, 2021, 10:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on May 19, 2022, 11:04:29 AMAs Woodcroft said in his post-game availability, the Oilers scored six goals, that should've been enough to win that game.  I'm sure they're going to review wtf went on.
Especially on that shot count.  They were what? Just over 50% of what Calgary had for most of the game (going off memory... didn't look it up.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Yeah, when they tied it up 6-6, the shot count was 40-19 for Calgary.  Calgary had taken 40 shots (10 on Smith that scored 3 so save percentage 0.700, 30 on Koskinen that scored 3 so save percentage 0.900), Edmonton had taken 19 (19 on Markstrom that scored 6 so save percentage 0.684).  Everybody was talking about how quickly Smith got chased from the net, but Smith actually had a better save percentage than Markstrom at that point.

In the end the shot count was 48-28 Calgary.
Koskinen: 32 saves on 38 shots 0.842 save percentage
Markstrom: 22 saves on 28 shots 0.786 save percentage
Smith: 7 saves on 10 shots 0.700 save percentage

_Normal_ save percentages for goalies in playoffs is high 0.800s for the loser, low 0.900s for the winner.  Defense and goalering really sucked for both teams in that game.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on May 19, 2022, 04:50:11 PMDefense and goalering really sucked for both teams in that game.

That's for sure! Hopefully both teams have it figured out for tomorrow's game because last night was tough to watch. Also the Oilers defensive line has to start hitting more, this is going to be a physical series - put some hustle in that muscle
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Another entertaining game... glad the Oil came out on top.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on May 21, 2022, 04:41:55 PMAnother entertaining game... glad the Oil came out on top.

It was a nailbiter for sure!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Man! I'm excited for tonight's game!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Me too, I really don't know what to expect.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on May 31, 2022, 02:01:48 PMMe too, I really don't know what to expect.
I know what you mean!!

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

That onside call was BULL@%&#

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 31, 2022, 09:17:28 PMThat onside call was BULL@%&#

I mean, yeah, that was blatantly wrong, and listening to Elliot Friedman twist himself up trying to explain was painful to watch.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on June 01, 2022, 12:20:21 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 31, 2022, 09:17:28 PMThat onside call was BULL@%&#

I mean, yeah, that was blatantly wrong, and listening to Elliot Friedman twist himself up trying to explain was painful to watch.

That's for sure!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

It was a fun season and we knocked Calgary out at least
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Wow, this series required two separate "ackshually, technically" explanations from talking heads.

Reffing in the NHL is <blech>.  I wish they reffed like the IIHF - every time you do X it's a penalty, and it doesn't matter if one team has more penalties than the other, it doesn't get ignored for "game management" reasons.

Anyway, the Oilers managed to be the top team in Alberta, the top team in Canada, the top team in the Pacific division, the second team in the Western Conference, and a top-four team in the league.

Jay Woodcroft and Dave Manson did some interesting things as the coaches, certainly shook things up and got every player invested in doing everything humanly possible to help the team.  I hope they're back as coaches, they appear to have connected really well with the under-30 players (who are the core and future of this team).

Nathan MacKinnon's slew foot on Draisaitl (not called) and kneeing on Hyman (not called) showed what kind of player he is - not overtly dirty, but tries to sneakily injure the other teams' best players.  Boo!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

I still think, while I like Smith, the Oilers are in need of a goalie that is younger, good and (if lucky) a franchise player. Sure they need the D to be there as well, but a goalie that can stand on his head 3-5 times (depending on the amount of games0 in this play-off run, and come back with full energy every night would be a huge asset.

Nothing wrong with Smith, he is just 40+ now and he can't have the energy and reaction time of a 25-30y goalie.