Happy New Year

Started by Mr. Analog, January 01, 2022, 12:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

May 2022 kick butt!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 01, 2022, 12:23:40 AMMay 2022 kick butt!
To you as well!

I gots plans. Lots of work but also a lathe. That and maybe a new 3d printer. I want to make stuff and now I have an office AND a garage!

Only issue with the garage is the builder cheaped out a tiny bit on the power to it. It could be worse honestly but right now there's only a 110v 15a light circuit and a 110v 20a outlet circuit. To get anything more id need to bring out a new line. So if I'm going to do that I might as well put in a full like 50a sub panel and get 220v so I can run things like a beefy lathe, mill, or a fast car charger.

Actually I think my snowblower managed to trip that circuit once. I think the blowers main power switch was stuck half on and caused a short? So annoying to run down to the basement to flip a garage breaker lol.

Honestly though I've dreamt most of my life to have a nice workshop and it's getting close boys! I can smell it! (Not least because the previous owners never cleaned the garage floor and it smelt strongly of oil and gas in there till I power washed it).

Question is (because I want to keep to one major expense at a time...), do we wait to see if we will need an A/C? Or just get it done before the demand spikes like it probably will in the spring/summer?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 01, 2022, 10:45:47 AMSo if I'm going to do that I might as well put in a full like 50a sub panel and get 220v so I can run things like a beefy lathe, mill, or a fast car charger.

If any of the things I have seen in the EV forums are true, when you get the service put in JUST tell the electrician it is for tools but make sure you get the right outlets to put in the EV charger yourself.. Apparently it is quite common for them to upcharge on it since at the moment EV owners are wealthier and in NEED of the charger being put in. Maybe instead indicate you want the service to be good enough to run electric heat as well as tools or something.

Quote from: Tom on January 01, 2022, 10:45:47 AMQuestion is (because I want to keep to one major expense at a time...), do we wait to see if we will need an A/C? Or just get it done before the demand spikes like it probably will in the spring/summer?

What type of heating system do you currently have and what is its age? You should make your A/C decision based around that. Simple A/C is an addon to a force air furnace in most cases, using the furnace as the blower to move the cold air. If the furnace is OLD and not in good it might be better to plan out doing both at the same time if the furnace needs replacement. Also more modern furnaces have better filtration options in many cases.

I swapped out our original single stage gas furnace (1979), for a two stage high efficiency one AND a single stage AC unit (summer isn't normally that hot here lol). I have been able to keep the home warmer (better blower, recirculation fan cycles) for the same cost in the cold months, and when the record heat dome hit we didn't cook, but it did struggle a little to keep up. Also check your panel capacity for the AC you will probably need something like a double throw 40 amp (2x20amp) for the AC unit depending on its size / type.

Running a whole home 20-40 amp unit vs a simple 10-15amp room unit was a big jump in cost during hot months.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on January 01, 2022, 12:42:43 PM
Quote from: Tom on January 01, 2022, 10:45:47 AMSo if I'm going to do that I might as well put in a full like 50a sub panel and get 220v so I can run things like a beefy lathe, mill, or a fast car charger.

If any of the things I have seen in the EV forums are true, when you get the service put in JUST tell the electrician it is for tools but make sure you get the right outlets to put in the EV charger yourself.. Apparently it is quite common for them to upcharge on it since at the moment EV owners are wealthier and in NEED of the charger being put in. Maybe instead indicate you want the service to be good enough to run electric heat as well as tools or something.
Ooh, good tip. Thank you. Yeah, priority would be on the tool power first.

Quote from: Lazybones on January 01, 2022, 12:42:43 PM
Quote from: Tom on January 01, 2022, 10:45:47 AMQuestion is (because I want to keep to one major expense at a time...), do we wait to see if we will need an A/C? Or just get it done before the demand spikes like it probably will in the spring/summer?

What type of heating system do you currently have and what is its age? You should make your A/C decision based around that. Simple A/C is an addon to a force air furnace in most cases, using the furnace as the blower to move the cold air. If the furnace is OLD and not in good it might be better to plan out doing both at the same time if the furnace needs replacement. Also more modern furnaces have better filtration options in many cases.
House was built in 2017, and has a modern high effeciency gas furnace. Sadly they didn't pre-plan for an AC,  so it'll require an electrician as well as the AC guy, oh well.

Quote from: Lazybones on January 01, 2022, 12:42:43 PMI swapped out our original single stage gas furnace (1979), for a two stage high efficiency one AND a single stage AC unit (summer isn't normally that hot here lol). I have been able to keep the home warmer (better blower, recirculation fan cycles) for the same cost in the cold months, and when the record heat dome hit we didn't cook, but it did struggle a little to keep up. Also check your panel capacity for the AC you will probably need something like a double throw 40 amp (2x20amp) for the AC unit depending on its size / type.

Running a whole home 20-40 amp unit vs a simple 10-15amp room unit was a big jump in cost during hot months.
We've currently got a 100A service, at least the main breaker is 100A, but I'm hoping they ran thick enough cable to upgrade it at some point just in case. The pannel is just a little over half full. They decided to run as many things as possible on the same circuits. Most of which are 15A. Of course theres a few higher power breakers for the kitchen counter plugs, stove and dryer.

Though interestingly, a LOT of the circuits have AFI/GFCI double width breakers, not entirely sure why some of them have them and some don't. It's strange. I know bedroom plugs are supposed to (they did), and you can use a AFCI/GFCI breaker for kitchen plugs instead of a GFCI outlet (they didn't). Theres a bunch of circuits that probably don't need it. Kinda odd really.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 05, 2022, 10:05:32 AMHouse was built in 2017, and has a modern high effeciency gas furnace. Sadly they didn't pre-plan for an AC,  so it'll require an electrician as well as the AC guy, oh well.

Fortunately AC units are more of a problem of space outside than inside.. Other than running the power OUT to the AC unit, inside they will just run the pipes to your furnace output, install coil in the output duct of the furnace and wire in the AC to the controller / thermostat.

If your basement is finished they will probably need to make a few holes to run the pipes and wires so the path to the outside wall and the path to your breaker will be important.. If you already have an high efficiency furnace chances are they will just follow the pipes out the side of the house.

The power requirements for your garage / EV charging will be far greater.