4K region free BluRay player recommendations

Started by Mr. Analog, February 15, 2022, 06:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So I'm looking for a region free 4K BluRay player but there are plenty of options at various prices so I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sorry bud, don't have any 4K displays... so don't have any players (other than my Xbox)
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on February 16, 2022, 12:02:03 AMSorry bud, don't have any 4K displays... so don't have any players (other than my Xbox)

I'm actually quite surprised that you don't have any 4K monitors! I think all my computer monitors are 4K now.

My TV is not though but I'm not looking to replace that BD player anytime soon
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I have 4K Apple TV devices but I do not have any 4K displays in my home.

Haven't purchased a CD/DVD/Blueray in many years now. We consume all of our content on streaming services.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on February 16, 2022, 09:09:38 AMI have 4K Apple TV devices but I do not have any 4K displays in my home.

Haven't purchased a CD/DVD/Blueray in many years now. We consume all of our content on streaming services.

My ol' BluRay player has been going strong since I bought it over a decade ago but I'd like to watch BluRays in my home office plus I have a few Region 2 discs and 4K prints I'd like to watch.

The two options seem to be Sony and LG but honestly I don't know which is a better buy, the price range for both is about the same...

I boycott Sony when I can, so it's most likely going to be a LG but I don't know what models give the best bang for the buck
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

So I bought a new LG BluRay player and I'm unimpressed

Build quality is cheap and there's no network browser. It is region free at least

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 07, 2022, 04:00:35 PMSo I bought a new LG BluRay player and I'm unimpressed

Build quality is cheap and there's no network browser. It is region free at least

So you think you will keep it or return it?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on May 08, 2022, 01:58:22 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 07, 2022, 04:00:35 PMSo I bought a new LG BluRay player and I'm unimpressed

So you think you will keep it or return it?
I'm going to keep both players and see how things shake out. So far I've had no skipping on the new player which is a big improvement. As for the lack of a network browser I might not need it if the Amazon Firestick has Plex on it

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Update on the BluRay player, turns out it DOES have network share compatibility but you have to download and install the media player package for DiskStation for it to be visible to the LG. Vastly annoying. I prefer the old model where you could just traverse the network in a kind of network browser.

Also there was an update to DSM I had to install so it took me longer than usual to get everything working (argh)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 10, 2022, 07:18:54 AMUpdate on the BluRay player, turns out it DOES have network share compatibility but you have to download and install the media player package for DiskStation for it to be visible to the LG. Vastly annoying. I prefer the old model where you could just traverse the network in a kind of network browser.

Also there was an update to DSM I had to install so it took me longer than usual to get everything working (argh)

So they removed SMB and you are using something like DLNA now or does the blueray player have an app store for the Video station app?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 10, 2022, 10:13:57 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 10, 2022, 07:18:54 AMUpdate on the BluRay player, turns out it DOES have network share compatibility but you have to download and install the media player package for DiskStation for it to be visible to the LG. Vastly annoying. I prefer the old model where you could just traverse the network in a kind of network browser.

So they removed SMB and you are using something like DLNA now or does the blueray player have an app store for the Video station app?

AFAIK it's DLNA-based
By Grabthar's Hammer