Is PvP's Kurtz a plagiarist?

Started by Darren Dirt, February 24, 2005, 05:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Interesting discussion going on by fans/with the creator of one of my fave web comics; yikes I can't believe he lifted Caesar from ST, how sad... :o

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Gasp! Shock! Horror! Yawn! ;)

The comic is well written and has a decent following who cares what a minority of pissy fanboys has to say. I mean honestly, if anything they should be happy the author reads the same comics they do and plays with it a little. It should also be mentioned that art and comedy do not occur in a vacuum and that comic artists will very often play off of each other.

As a side note, you should see how this kind of post gets treated by the Penny Arcade crew, I do believe you'd get your asshole crammed if you pissed and moaned like this on their forum.

Next thing you'll see is people dredging up Bazooka Joe comics and telling us that in some PvP comic somewhere there is a reference to a lame joke...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

I get the distinct feeling from reading the posts the main concern isn't so much about Kurtz ripping off other comic artists gimmicks, it's that Kurtz is ready and willing to accuse, harass, and yes even sue anyone who makes reference to PvP in their comic without his express consent. That can quickly turn a simple honest homage to PvP by another artist into a trip down Agony Lane.

Something about that just doesn't seem right. References to other comics are fun things that can net the comic being referenced some brand new readers. Even if the reference is a nasty it won't be enough to bring another comic down completely. People tend to keep reading what they want to read regardless of opinions expressed by others.

I wish I knew a bit more about the whole Spells & Whistles dealie (I used to read it, not many comics in there but it was very pretty) but I haven't been able to get to the site for a while now. I'd hate to think the comic was Kurtz'ed unto death.

I'll just keep on liking PvP, but that doesn't mean I have to like Kurtz himself as well.

Shayne

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Shayne"Penny Arcade ownz you!!!
True, I am their unwilling servant of evil...
By Grabthar's Hammer