Classic BattleTech and MechWarrior

Started by Thorin, March 04, 2005, 01:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

A friend of mine was talking about his Space Marines units in Warhammer 40K, and that got me thinking about good old BattleTech.  Has anyone else here ever played the game?  It has now been renamed "Classic BattleTech", there is a new revised edition, and it is now owned by WizKids and developed, marketed, and distributed by FanPro.

I'm thinking of buying it, if I can find the money.  I figure I need the following in order:

1. Classic BattleTech Boxed Set (this is essentially the 5th edition, but it's been renamed "Classic", so there's no edition number)
2. Classic BattleTech Technical Readout 3025 (this contains a whole bunch of new 'Mechs and other machines)
3. Classic BattleTech Master Rules, Revised (revised by FanPro)
4. Map Set Compilation #1 or #2 or both (these contain 20+ new mapsheets)
5. Classic BattleTech: the Roleplaying Game (aka MechWarrior 3, for if I ever want to run an RPG in this universe)

Given my limited cashflow, I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has played with the latest gaming system and books, and if so how good they are...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

I have not played it directly, but if I recall most games of this type have very complex rules for things like missile hits and damage. Not sure its something I would like to play, but that would depend on the rule set.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: "Lazybones"most games of this type have very complex rules for things like missile hits and damage
There are three levels of rules.  I should say, there are three levels of technology.  Level 1 technology is the old stuff they started with in 1985.  Level 2 got added in the early 90s, and level 3 is the newest stuff.  Generally, beginners play level 1 because there's less combinations of tech and weapons, and tournaments play level 2.  Level 3 is intended for gamers who have been playing a long time and want to try something new.

As far as combat, its easy:

1. Move
2. Declare Targets
3. Shoot/Hack At Target

To resolve whether a shot hits, you figure out a target number (starts at 4, has modifiers for attacker's movement speed, target's movement speed, distance, and intervening terrain), roll 2D6 against it, if you get the number or higher, you hit.  There 8 possible hit locations; to determine hit location, roll 2D6 and look at chart.  To resolve damage, each weapon does a set amount of damage, so the target simply marks off X damage to the hit location.

The only place I see any difficulty is the target number modifier, and typically it's something like 4 + 1 (attacker walked) + 1 (target moved 3 to 5 hexes) + 2 (medium range) + 1 (one intervening hex has light woods) = 9.

I think the advanced rules also have overheating which causes your targeting systems to work less efficiently, so if you're running hot you add another +1 to your to hit number.

There's no "defender tries to dodge" or anything like that, unlike Warhammer where there's the Hit Roll, the Wound Roll, the Armor Save Roll, the Invulnerability Roll, and some other roll too...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Then there's MDC (mega damage) to calculate and regular damage and targeted shots and specific system failure tables and range modifiers and projectile trajectories and subdual beam weapon damage...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Umm, no.  That's RoboTech.

Really, BattleTech is simple and easy to play.

Now Car Wars, that was a little more rules-heavy.  But alas, I have not seen Car Wars material in *years*... :(
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Bah! Everyone knows the best game you can play is Og! It's a great RPG, no more grand speeches, no long winded explainations of abilities, just "me hungry, want food".
By Grabthar's Hammer

The Silver Surfer

I have a bunch of the older stuff ( used from Whyte Knight ) but never played, I like to learn more because of the Mechwarrior game for PC. but if you wanted to start playing I'd be in. :blink:  

Thorin

Cool, that's one player so far :)  I'd prefer to buy a new boxed set and the new Master Rules, just so that we're playing the up-to-date stuff.  I also have some older stuff handed off to me that I've played several times.

Do you have the cardstock folding maps?   Nowadays I think they make the maps out of normal paper, which does nothing for the durability...

If you first want to see what its like before any money gets spent, FanPro has released the QuickStart Rules, which let you play through a couple of fights at a very basic level.  Super-basic.  Almost as simple as Og (damn, I gotta read the rules for that game sometime!)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Would you be able to bring some or all of what you have to tomorrow's game?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

The Silver Surfer

were you planning on buying mech minis too?

Bryan

I believe I still have that game somewhere in my parent's house.

-----> http://www.stickdeath.com/ <-----
click on "Martyr Machine" f'n hilarious!!!!

Thorin

Quote from: "The Silver Surfer"were you planning on buying mech minis too?
No, I don't believe in spending all my hard-earned cash on minis.  The boxed set is supposed to supply you with cardboard markers that work just as well.

Maybe someday when I have disposable income again, I'll be able to do that.  I figure at least 20 years...  By then the youngest should have moved out :P
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Yay!  I have the boxed set!  (thanks, mr. Analog)

Now to round up a couple of people to play it this weekend...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

The Silver Surfer

this weekend wont be good for me, can we try andget to D&D night a little early and try it there?