Good old cards...

Started by Melbosa, August 20, 2005, 02:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Was making sure I understood the terms.  I have played "5 card draw" for many years, but always just called it Poker.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Shayne"Im sure you knew, i was more or less asking Darren, as Texas and Draw are similar in that you make a "poker hand" with 5 cards.  The rest of Texas is really just "details" that are reasily understood in 2 hands.

I jsut dont think a person who has no idea of what a "flush" is would enjoy losing their $20 *dead money*

:)

I'll just invest a few hours at the VLTs this week to "catch up on the basics"... Flush, Straight, Flush Straight, Royal Straight... which one's higher again?  ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"I'll just invest a few hours at the VLTs this week to "catch up on the basics"... Flush, Straight, Flush Straight, Royal Straight... which one's higher again?  ;)

lol I think you mean Straight Flush and Royal Flush

here: http://www.pagat.com/vying/pokerrank.html

Although I think in Texas and Ohmaha, Ace is only high card (can't be a 1), no?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Shayne

Quote from: "Melbosa"Although I think in Texas and Ohmaha, Ace is only high card (can't be a 1), no?

Last time i played (a couple weeks ago) we used A as a 1 in a low straight.  *shrug*  Im not sure.

Darren Dirt

Quotelol I think you mean Straight Flush and Royal Flush

here: http://www.pagat.com/vying/pokerrank.html

Although I think in Texas and Ohmaha, Ace is only high card (can't be a 1), no?

By "lol" I guess you are (correctly) presuming I was joking. :)

And from what I have seen/heard/experienced, Ace Is High is the default, unless Dealer's Choice sets some non-standard rules (e.g. one-eyed Jacks are wild, etc.)

I figure we all just pool our opinions together along with $20 or whatever, and go easy on the newbs/slow learners (myself mostly included in that).

- - -

Darren Dirt

(me enquiring @ 6:45 pm Tuesday) So is there a specific day confirmed yet? Friday night? Saturday night? Even if only a few of us make it, might turn into a nice regular thing to do :)

TheDruid

I propose hosting it at my place this Saturday night.

Jen's going to Calgary this weekend, so ill have the whole house to myself and i have a 750 piece clay poker set to play with.
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

The Silver Surfer

If this still going to happen, I won't be there till 10ish, hope there's a buy in... lol

TheDruid

Looks like Friday may be the better day anyway... might be a little too ambitious to host a game on Sat. after returning from a disc tourney that?s located an hrs drive away.

So who's in for Friday (tomorrow)? We have 3 slots filled so far... looking for at least 2-3 more

Mr. Analog

Friday conflicts with DVD night this week :S
By Grabthar's Hammer

TheDruid

My buddy here at work says hes in too so we got 4 now.

Shayne

Quote from: "TheDruid"My buddy here at work says hes in too so we got 4 now.

Talk to your bro-in-laws?

Ustauk

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Friday conflicts with DVD night this week :S
Well, alternatively, we could watch movies until 9:30, and then I can drive you up to the Druid's, since Surfer said he can't make it until 10:00 anyways, or we could hold DVD night at the Druid's prior to Poker Night :)  Mr. Dirt could hitch the bus to my place, and I could then drive me and him up that way.  Up to you guys.  I may stick around to watch for a bit, but I'm not really interested in playing.

The Silver Surfer

I cant make it on friday due to Esk's FOOTBALL!!!!

The Silver Surfer

congrats to Druid on his turn around win at the Texas Hold'em game