Gas prices up

Started by Lazybones, August 31, 2005, 06:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

For those with cars you might find this site handy: http://www.edmontongasprices.com/

Might not be 100% accurate all the time but handy none the less.. You should see the lineup at the tempo out side my house.. There current price is 101.9c /L

Thorin

Prices on there can be wildly out-of-date, as it shows the the last two-and-a-half days.

Public transit sure seems like a cost-effective alternative these days.

That being said, fuel costs are still a much smaller percentage of a vehicle's cost than the actual purchase price.  A friend of mine suggested that people should buy different-sized cars for different jobs, such as a small cheap-on-gas two-seater Smart Car to get to work and back and a big five-seater sedan to haul the family around on vacations.  Once you do the math, though, it's obvious that it takes years and years and years to pay off the extra car via the fuel savings of not driving the bigger car to work...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

I forsee a sudden surge in Hybrid Car sales, even if they don't really save you that much.

I also expect to see a lot more of those stupid little smart cars.

Shayne

$1.299 in Regina according to my father.  i expect $1.199 when i wake up tomorrow.  good thing we filled today (both cars)

Thorin

Okay, first of all it was shown in the link you pointed out that even after ten years of operation the hybrid Civic cost more overall than the regular Civic, even an upscale one.

Second, the Smart has a distinctive problem: space!  Why would I pay as much or more for a two-seater car with barely any cargo space as for a five-seater such as a Civic or a Cobalt with a decent-sized trunk?

The average annual distance driven in Canada in personal vehicles is 25,000km, give or take.  This includes driving to deliver pizza or same-day couriering, which drives up that average.  Still, that works out to about 2,000km per month.  Driving a Civic you use 7 litres per 100km, or 140 litres.  Driving a Smart you use 4.5 litres per 100km, or 90 litres.  So you save about 50 litres, or about $50 to $60 a month depending on gas prices.  But wait!  That's average driving!  I only drive half that, so I only save $25 to $30 a month.  And hey, I can take my entire family with me, or give friends rides home (right, Mr. A.?).  That's worth the slight increase in fuel cost, to me.

Now consider that a Smart costs the same as a Civic, and that a Civic actually has room in the vehicle for *gasp* crumple zones!  God help the first driver of a Smart who gets smashed by an out-of-control pickup or SUV this winter.  So they made the Smart more solid so the passenger wouldn't get hurt.  Of course, that means the Smart absorbs less of the impact and the passenger absorbs more...  You can't really have a tiny car and really good impact-absorbing crumple zones.  Guess who gets to pay the bills when the people driving the Smarts are hurt?  That's right, mr. Taxpayer.

Okay, so I hate the Smart.  I hate the looks.  And I hate that they call them "Smart", because they're really not in the Albertan vehicular landscape.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Hah, from the makers of the Smart, the Trio.

Okay, these guys claim the Smart is "the safest small car", and then offer a three-wheeled vehicle with a single wheel in the front?  WTF?!  Did they not pay attention to all the tests that show a three-wheeler needs to have two wheels in the front for stability, otherwise they can simply keel over to one side in moderate driving?!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I just walked by about 50 cars lined up for the gas station (twice as many from when I called you Lazy), I can't wait to ride the bus tomorrow...

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I'll bet getting rides is more fun than the bus, though.  And less hazardous to your health...

SPARE CHANGE?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Shayne

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"I just walked by about 50 cars lined up for the gas station (twice as many from when I called you Lazy), I can't wait to ride the bus tomorrow...

...enjoy.  While on September 19 i will be taking mass transit, i enjoy the freedom of my own vehicle, and at $2/L i can still afford to drive.

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"
Quote from: "Mr. Analog"I just walked by about 50 cars lined up for the gas station (twice as many from when I called you Lazy), I can't wait to ride the bus tomorrow...

...enjoy.  While on September 19 i will be taking mass transit, i enjoy the freedom of my own vehicle, and at $2/L i can still afford to drive.

At $2/L that would be a $100 fillup for my 88 Accord and I might have  have to start charging $0.16 / km for rides. :wink:

Mr. Analog

Oh man, school starts tomorrow too doesn't it?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Been going a while at NAIT, a whole week so far.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Retard school, aka, "high" school.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: "Shayne"on September 19 i will be taking mass transit

Hmm, you're taking mass transit on International Talk-Like-A-Pirate Day?  Is there also something else at hand?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Cova

Ahh..., the looser-cruiser.

I'll be sticking with my gas-guzzling car thanks.  (yes, its a little import 4-banger, and when you drive like me yes, it guzzles gas).

Though a year ago I probably would have had to inflict pain upon myself for wanting one of these - ever since I saw Vince catwalk one down the street on american-chopper, and knowing they are damn good on gas, I've been thinking it may be the cheap solution to get to work and back during the summer when the weather is nice.

$3000 and probably uses about as much gas in a month as my car does in a couple days.  Or their high-end scooter retails for about $10k, but actually looks decent and has a real engine.