Swearing Archive

Started by Ustauk, December 11, 2005, 01:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ustauk

While looking at the entry for profanity on Wikipedia, I stumbled across the following web page.

http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/index.htm

There are 170 different languages available to curse in :)

Thorin

Quote from: "Ustauk"While looking at the entry for profanity on Wikipedia

Umm...  I think that qualifies for the weirdest thing I've read today. :)  Why would you be looking up a Wikipedia entry for profanity?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Ustauk

Quote from: "Thorin"

Umm...  I think that qualifies for the weirdest thing I've read today. :)  Why would you be looking up a Wikipedia entry for profanity?
Well, i was listening to a program on the CBC the other day called C'est La Vie, about life in Quebec, and they were talking about French Canadian swear words.  So I looked up tabernac in google, and that led me a Wikipedia page on French Canadian swear words.  I then clicked on the link to profanity in the article, which led me to the wiki article on profanity, which in turn had a link to the cure archive.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Ustauk"
Quote from: "Thorin"

Well, i was listening to a program on the CBC the other day called C'est La Vie, about life in Quebec, and they were talking about French Canadian swear words.  So I looked up tabernac in google, and that led me a Wikipedia page on French Canadian swear words.  I then clicked on the link to profanity in the article, which led me to the wiki article on profanity, which in turn had a link to the cure archive.

ZUT ALORS! ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Well, that actually does make sense as a train of thought. :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

C'mon, the first thing anyone looks up in a translation dictionary is the rude words ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

Ready-made swears in Latin! At last! :P

Even if I'm not remotely gifted in other languages, I still do like having a bit of fun looking up the curse words.

It certainly makes it easier to know what to avoid saying when in a different country (espeically in Japan if you're a fan of mangoes).

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Tonnica"Ready-made swears in Latin! At last! :P

Even if I'm not remotely gifted in other languages, I still do like having a bit of fun looking up the curse words.

It certainly makes it easier to know what to avoid saying when in a different country (espeically in Japan if you're a fan of mangoes).

UGH! Thanks for the flashback, I have burned-in images in my brain from the "Best of Christopher Walken" DVD I rented -- never encountered before, and I would definitely say I am not a fan of Mango:

http://images.google.com/images?q=Mango+SNL

:P ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.