Component input verus composit on a non-hd tv

Started by Ustauk, March 01, 2006, 10:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fedora Gal

*hands every one a cookie*

just to put in the official A/V tech point of view.

You are both correct there is both analog and digital component video...

HOWEVER component video on the consumer level is only analog and is just a breaking up of the colour into Red, Green and Blue signals.

Digital component Video is in fact called RGB-HV and is only used at the professional level to split the signal so that it can be sent further distances. It is not a 3 connector cable but a 5 connector... Red, Green, Blue, and Horizontal and Vertical Sync (the digital signal component's are in the H/V connectors)

Hope this clears things up.

*passes out milk with the cookies*

Even this is not technically correct but I'm not going to go into a in-depth discussion about it hehe.
When the going gets tough, the tough make lemonade!

Mr. Analog

One of the things I'm going to stop doing is referring to just any AV cables as "RCA" (well other than for jack type; RCA phono) as it just causes confusion.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Fedora Gal

lol... woops, looks like I caught myself in an oopsie.

When I stated that my above thing wasn't technically correct, that is true... read the following article to get this straightened out. What tripped me, is that you can use an RGB-HV cable to carry both analog and digital video signals, depending on what you use it for. So I was partially right.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html
When the going gets tough, the tough make lemonade!