Best AM2 board / CPU combo

Started by Mr. Analog, June 12, 2006, 05:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So, I'm looking at these newfangled Socket AM2 boards and these AMD 64 X2 CPUs and wondering what the best combos are.

Advantages / Disadvantages, etc

I mean, I'm interested in upgrading mobo + cpu + gfx for Fraga but I want to drop under 1.5 K for an upgrade...

Incedentally, I'm currently running a K8V SE Deluxe with an AMD 64 3000+ (Socket 754, yeh, I know) and a ATi X800 XT.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Getting first generation hardware is usually a bad thing. even with great reviews, issues may not pop up till later.. Just ask Lazy.

AMD and Intel have announced massive price cuts, up to 60% on CPUs. So hopefully soon, we'll see some better prices.

Unless AM2 hardware gets allot cheaper, I'll be waiting for the 939 hardware to radically drop in price before I buy anything.

If you think your A64 3000+ is old/crappy, I'm running on a Athlon XP 2400+, Socket A, and a Radeon 9600xt (twas a 9200 last year...) hey, can we trade? ;) I have 1.5GB ram... if that helps ;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Cova

If I had to pick one of the boards listed there, I'd go with the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe - AKA the expensive one, because it is the only board listed there on the new high-end nVidia chipset (the 590).  However due to my own personal bias, I no longer buy anything with nVidia parts on it if I can help it - which pretty much rules out any AM2 offerings from Mem Express right now.  I'd wait for a board with ATI's new chipset on it before popping down any cash.

Ironic, semi-related note:  The board that Mel and I both just picked up recently, the A8R32-MVP, uses an ATI northbridge and ULI southbridge.  I was finally completly nVidia free, then nVidia bought ULI and ruined that plan.

Tom

But since its a pre nVidia ULI chipset, you're still nVidia free ;)

But I have to ask, whats your reasons for staying away from nv? I've personally made a resolution to never buy a VIA product ever again... for very obvious reasons.

Cova

Quote from: Tom on June 12, 2006, 09:02:49 PM
But since its a pre nVidia ULI chipset, you're still nVidia free ;)

I have to go to them for drivers now - which is not nVidia free in my mind.

QuoteBut I have to ask, whats your reasons for staying away from nv? I've personally made a resolution to never buy a VIA product ever again... for very obvious reasons.

Because they're a crap company that makes crap products and covers it all over with one of the biggest PR machines out there.

Mr. Analog

I have to agree, nVidia burned me on driver issues a while back (5 years or so).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Ive never been more happy with the 7900GTs and the SLI setup I have now.  I was always pro ATi but their stuff just hasnt kept up for me.

Adams

I also have SLI 7900GT's and could not be happier. Just need a good game to test these puppies on.

:D
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Shayne

SLI motherboard and an ATI video card.  Sounds F'n retarded.

Tom

Just because a motherboard has SLI doesn't mean you have to use it :P

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on June 13, 2006, 06:33:27 PM
SLI motherboard and an ATI video card.  Sounds F'n retarded.
Sit on it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Seriously if people are going to be dicks I'm just locking the thread.

@%&# Y'ALL
By Grabthar's Hammer