Live from Macworld 2007

Started by Lazybones, January 09, 2007, 10:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

With many (re:all?) cellphones dropping dramatically in price within a year of being available and many of these phones hitting the $0 mark with a 3 year contract it could be interesting with iPhone as I'm inclined to think that it will NOT drop in price.  I cite the iPod as my example.  Over the years they have made it smaller, larger capacity, more feature but during all these changes the prices have for the most part stayed pretty stationary.

I am going to be that the iPhone does the same sort of deal.  They will release a trimmed version in the form of an iPhone Nano for the low cost market, and they will advance the iPhone with more space, more features, 3G, etc but the price point will probably stay the same (perhaps the uberest finding a home at $499 on 3 years).

Lazybones

whispers of other models have been echoed elsewhere as well.

Shayne

So I've been experimenting with iTunes this afternoon and I can't import Xvid/DivX files into the library.  This basically makes AppleTV rather useless to me (and many others I'm, guessing) unless you are a fan of transcoding everything.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on January 10, 2007, 03:44:28 PM
So I've been experimenting with iTunes this afternoon and I can't import Xvid/DivX files into the library.  This basically makes AppleTV rather useless to me (and many others I'm, guessing) unless you are a fan of transcoding everything.

A quick google netted me this.. Not sure if it works.
QuoteIf you install DivX, Xvid, and AC3 QuickTime components, and put your movies in ~/Movies, Front Row will be able to play them without conversion (although I've been having trouble lately with the AC3 codec).

Shayne

Interesting, though here is the kicker, Quicktime does the playing of said files, i just tried 3 different videos and it causes Quicktime to crash, while WMP and VLC play it without a problem.  Codec issue maybe.