What Are You Listening To?

Started by Mr. Analog, January 22, 2007, 03:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

WOW.

Guess what 17-minute song K-Rock just finished playing?

Yes, the amazing FULL version of Iron Butterfly's classic. :o 8)

The wicked stereo back-and-forth drum part is my fave, methinks.

-can you imagine trying to convince a record company to pick up such a unique song/artist like this nowadays? :(

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Shayne

Darren Dirt

Wow, I've heard of the band by name but didn't know they were prog rock/metal and put forth such a well received sophomore album*. Might have to check it out.

- - -

* 4.5 out of 5 stars ... based on 1110 reviews. I don't think I've ever seen an album with 1110 reviews. :o

Shayne

They came to mind more or less because you pointed out a 15 minute track from a "unique artist", Tool is very unique and look at the length of their songs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10,000_Days
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86nima
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateralus

...they are always pushing the clock well beyond the 3:30 norm.

Darren Dirt

Which would you say is a good single-album-purchase for Tool newbs like myself? Something that is re-listenable in the background without making you want to jump up and skip a song (some albums are great except for 2 or 3 songs, you know what I'm talking about...)

Shayne

?nima to me was their best.  Tool is a strange band to listen to for me, its hard to listen to as their doesn't seem to be a real setting which demands Tool.  Maybe sitting in the dark smoking pot, but other then that.

?nima by far and away.

Darren Dirt

I've also been recommended Alice in Chains (I was/am a big fan of Queensryche, to give you an idea)... if you enjoy AiC would you suggest the "breakout" album "Dirt", or the more mellow "Jar of Flies" (or soemthing else) -- as a complete album (not just "a few good songs", there I go again ::) )

Amazon reviewer Angry Mofo "angrymofo" sez: The truly "essential" Alice In Chains consists of two albums, Dirt and Jar Of Flies. Those two albums cost less put together than this one. So, if you don't know anything about this band, it would be more logical to get those two albums instead of this compilation. And if you're a big fan of the band, then you probably already have the box set, so this compilation will contain nothing that you aren't familiar with.

Lazybones

I like Tool, however they are not exactly something something I can just sit and listen too all the way through an album. Not something you would want to have playing in the background at work, but maybe with some headphones on.

I love the music video for Sober....

You can check out a few of the music videos on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Tool+Sober&search=Search

Shayne

Yup Lazy, basically my point about Tool, its like a strange alt-rock-prog-rock opera.  I tried to listen to 10,000 days while riding the train and I just couldn't do it, it was like I was missing the point

Shayne

The Postal Service - Such Great Heights (Sirius - Channel 21 "Alt Nation")

This band is really impressing me, i downloaded their album and its very groovy and well put together.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne The Righteous on January 29, 2007, 09:15:55 AM
The Postal Service - Such Great Heights (Sirius - Channel 21 "Alt Nation")

This band is really impressing me, i downloaded their album and its very groovy and well put together.

I checked out The Postal Service - Such Great Heights when there was a little thing going around how the Apple/Intel ad was shot for shot almost identical to the Such Great Heights music video in places. It happens that both had the same director.

Mr. Analog

Max Webster -- Lip Service
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

my conscience.

Oh, sorry, was just responding to the thread title. ;)

If you asked me last week, I woulda answered "my negative self-talk" so I guess that's an improvement? :p

Tom

Canadian Idiot - Weird Al - Straight Outta Lynwood
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!