?Where do people find the time??

Started by Lazybones, July 21, 2008, 09:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Quote?Where do people find the time??

My mom has often asked me, in a tone of disdain, how people find the time to do so much stuff on the Internet?stuff that she thinks is, with a few tiny exceptions, worthless?and I?ve been saying to her for years, ?They spend less time than you do slackjawed in front of the TV.?

In this short talk, Clay Shirky puts a number on that amount of ?found? time. And then he explains how what people are now starting to do with that time is fundamentally different from watching television.

http://www.clusterflock.org/2008/04/where-do-people-find-the-time.html

Darren Dirt

nice find!

Clay Shirky is awesome. And important.

...Surprising theory (the purpose of sitcomes = using up all our scary thing, "free time!")

"cognitive heatsink" gotta love that term...

wow, "cognitive surplus = ASSET, not CRISIS" (well, duh -- most of us here know that...) :)

PS: been there, done that:
Seth on April 30th, 2008 at 12:46 pm This concept, rather than scientific learning or any rival doctrine, is where I see the greatest social change. My first thought about people no longer accepting passive or fixed types of religion actually came to me as a young boy, pre-internet during a church sermon.

I wanted to ask a question about something during the sermon but wasn?t allowed to. Why not? I thought bitterly. Why do we just sit here soaking up this lesson with no room for our own input or experience?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I often wonder where I find the time to do all my stuff, it's amazing how you can find time if you really want to do something creative.

Last few days I've been watching movies and it feels weird just sitting there enjoying a two to three hour block without "doing" anything.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Thank you, very informative article.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful