LASIK -- is it safe?

Started by Darren Dirt, November 26, 2008, 02:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Personally I am more interested in PRK or LASEK than LASIK, but I am not sure if I qualify. LASIK can be uses on a wider range of vision problems.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on November 28, 2008, 11:30:28 AM
Personally I am more interested in PRK.

A lot of the Youtube comments seem to suggest that the knife-cutting is overall safer than the laser-cutting, I guess longterm less complications.

btw, here's a brief "10 reason to avoid LASIK" video, no emotional fear-mongering, just simple facts (or semi-facts?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQarW7KixZM

a handful of other videos by this YT user:
http://www.youtube.com/user/dkantis

After watching a few more of the above (and considering the thought-provoking "LASIK Suicides" common theme of some of them...), I'm glad I never gave into the impulse I had a few months ago, when I was seriously contemplating going under the knife...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 28, 2008, 05:21:04 PMI'm glad I never gave into the impulse I had a few months ago, when I was seriously contemplating going under the knife...

I can't remember who said it (it may have been Larry Wall) but you should "want" something three times before you consider buying it.

Whatever you are comfortable with is what you should do DD.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

For me it is still a research and wait. I would still like to get something done, however cost at risk are important.

I don't consider anything on YouTube authoritative, however the fox news bit was interesting.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on December 01, 2008, 10:04:11 AM
For me it is still a research and wait. I would still like to get something done, however cost at risk are important.

I don't consider anything on YouTube authoritative, however the fox news bit was interesting.

I just think it's pretty telling how many individuals have taken the time to post videos on YT to basically say "learn from my ongoing pain -- don't get LASIK!", not to mention some of the medical professionals who on their websites etc. are suggesting that the information presented to the public re. the flap "healing" is not quite the truth, not to mention the never-go-away eye pain, etc. that is not exactly common knowledge in the LASIK adverts.

I am also skeptical of "eye exercises" being the end all be all solution, but at least there you're not cutting into an incredible thin lens that was perfectly fine before you took a knife to it.

I wonder if Weird Al has ever talked with Kathy Griffin* ... 2 celebs, both LASIK, one apparently happy and one definitely not (*check Wikipedia or Google to find out the details).

Strive for progress. Not perfection.