New Shaw speeds

Started by Lazybones, February 26, 2009, 11:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

If you haven't noticed shaw has bumped standard from 5Mbit to 7.5 and I-Extreme from 10 to 15Mbit.

Also all versions have speed boost which seems to get you something like 15-20Mbits for transfers that last less than a few seconds.

Note however that if you have a QOS router  and have set your sevice levels you will not get the speed boost advantage, also it is a good time to go adjust those settings to take advantage of the increases in the basic service.

I have gained almost 3Mbit/s with my new settings.

Mr. Analog

I wondered why I "maxxed" my bandwidth the other day...!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Hehe, I saw that before I got the email. It seems they rolled it out to business accounts much earlier than residential.

I started seeing speeds of 1.5M/s to 1.8M/s a couple weeks ago. Thats before speedboost. With speedboost I get up over 3MB/s with no problems ;D but as you know, it doesn't last long per connection, but in BitTorrent, thats perfect ;) some torrents max my OLD limit, and others still have room to download :D

They are also moving to DOCSIS3, which is fairly important, because DOCSIS3 provides speeds per node upwards of 150-300mb/s downstream and 108mb/s upstream, supports channel bonding, meaning you can get more than one single wavelength (42Mb/s per channel downstream, 10-30Mb/s per channel upstream) in each direction meaning you could theoretically get the max via cable. DOCSIS3 also supports IPv6, which should be quite useful.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

How does one go about enabling the speed increase? I have moved my CPU into the basement and so am going wireless, have a strong signal (have "130.0 Mbps" apparently) but seems a bit slower than it maybe can be?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

If you have not imposed your own caps through QOS settings then you just GET the speed.

The connection speed on WiFi means almost nothing, I have never been able to get that speed when measuring with other tools

Thorin

Hmm, I'm maxing out at 1.4MB/s in uTorrent.  I don't know if its the machines on the other end not sending fast enough, but some of 'em are directly on fiber-optical connections, so...

I have a QoS engine in my router - it gets turned on with a checkbox.  I haven't configured any special rules for it, as D-Link's manual says that shouldn't be necessary.

3MB/s, or even 2MB/s, would be nice.  The only downside I can find is that now it's so easy and so quick to download stuff that multiple hard drives get filled up before everything's been watched...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

1.85MB/s is the theoretical max speed for 15mb/s (which is what shaw is advertising now). It may just be that theres noise on the line, or your router isn't fast enough to keep up with 1.8MB/s. To be honest though 1.4MB/s is pretty decent.. Unfortuneatly I can't test my speeds right at the moment, my line has been quite noisy and I'm lucky to get 10mb/s let alone 15mb/s.

QuoteThe only downside I can find is that now it's so easy and so quick to download stuff that multiple hard drives get filled up before everything's been watched...
Theres a reason I splurged when I got my new "server" box. My $300+ GST refund went into buying 3 more 640G Hard drives for it ;) theres four in that machine running RAID5, which gives me nearly 2TB of disk space. That plus my old 596G raid5 array gives me quite a lot of extra space. Its actually some what hard to fill up 2.4TB of space that fast :)

With my full download speed available it would take 16.2 days to fill up all of my RAID storage. But I find I don't have that much do download these days. So it'll take me months, and much of it will be stuff I consider temporary, so if it starts getting full, I'll just delete it (CSI, NCIS, etc).

Lazybones

http://speedtest.net/ and run the test several times.. The fist few times you should see boosted speeds but after about 4 runs it should show you your standard speed.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on February 27, 2009, 12:03:07 PM
(CSI, NCIS, etc).

Finally, another NCIS fan!  Most people don't know what show I'm talking about...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Raeofsunshine got me into NCIS as well..

Thorin

Double-Yay!

The show's completely far-fetched, but I've really gotten into it.  I was very sad when they killed off Kate...  Just like when Tasha Yar actually died.

Anyway, off-topic.

Quote from: Lazybones on February 27, 2009, 12:38:57 PM
http://speedtest.net/ and run the test several times.. The fist few times you should see boosted speeds but after about 4 runs it should show you your standard speed.

I consistently hit between 9.7MB/s and 12.5MB/s (ran the test 12 times).  It was either right by the lower amount or right by the upper amount.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 27, 2009, 04:57:25 PM
Double-Yay!

The show's completely far-fetched, but I've really gotten into it.  I was very sad when they killed off Kate...  Just like when Tasha Yar actually died.

Anyway, off-topic.

Quote from: Lazybones on February 27, 2009, 12:38:57 PM

I consistently hit between 9.7MB/s and 12.5MB/s (ran the test 12 times).  It was either right by the lower amount or right by the upper amount.
You mean 9.7mb/s and 12.5mb/s right? even with speed boost getting 12.5MB/s is rather impossible. The most I've ever seen is 3-4MB/s and 4MB/s is like 32mb/s.

Lazybones

I like the results I get at work.. They very a lot but are mostly awesome.

46517 kb/s Down 13432 kb/s up

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on February 27, 2009, 05:08:54 PM
I like the results I get at work.. They very a lot but are mostly awesome.

46517 kb/s Down 13432 kb/s up
nice. I'd love to have 50mb/s down and 15mb/s up. I really hope shaw pushes out higher upload speeds soon. 1mb/s isn't enough to actually handle any speeds much faster than 15-20mb/s. Most of your upstream will fill up with ACK packets ::)

Shaw wants 300$ a month for the new server connect plan, and all you get is 5/5mb, no speed boost, no i extreme. But it does come with like 5 static ips or something. but 300 is still too much.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on February 27, 2009, 05:05:46 PM
Quote from: Thorin on February 27, 2009, 04:57:25 PM
You mean 9.7mb/s and 12.5mb/s right? even with speed boost getting 12.5MB/s is rather impossible. The most I've ever seen is 3-4MB/s and 4MB/s is like 32mb/s.

Thanks for the correction, too bad you weren't quite right.  No, I did not mean megabytes per second (MB/s), I meant megabits per second (Mb/s).  I definitely was not talking about millibits per second (mb/s). See?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milli  <-- lower-case "m" is milli.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're going to be pedantic, at least be right.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful