Sci Fi Movies

Started by Stewie521, December 30, 2009, 10:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewie521

You guys know of any good Sci Fi movies? Lately, I've found that Transformer II and GI Joe were pretty good, but I think there's gonna be this AWESOME movie around the corner. What about you?

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Stewie521

Yeah that looks like a good movie too! :)

Mr. Analog

Holy cow, where to start? Now, obviously some of these are more adult, so take with a grain of salt.

2001 a Space Odyssey
Alien
Blade Runner
Brazil
Castle in the Sky (Laputa)
A Clockwork Orange
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Code 46
Colossus: The Forbin Project
Dark City
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951, not the new one)
Donnie Darko
Dr. No
Enemy Mine
Forbidden Planet
Ghost in the Shell
Heavy Metal
The Iron Giant
Lupin III: Castle of Caligostro
The Matrix (only watch the first one, the others ruin it)
Metropolis (both the 1927 film and the 2001 anime)
Patlabor: the Movie
Rock & Rule
Silent Running
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
The Thirteenth Floor
Tron
Twelve Monkeys
WALL-E
WarGames
War of the Worlds (1953 version)

For science fiction television series I recommend the following:
The Outer Limits (1963-1965)
Doctor Who
Farscape
Stargate
Space: Above & Beyond
Star Trek, original series seasons 1 & 2
Blake's 7
The Starlost (considered by some the worst science fiction program ever made, however I differ significantly on this, it's a very Canadian look at sci-fi)

For some great animated sci-fi from Japan:
Cowboy Bebop
Last Exile
Bubblegum Crisis
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki
Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers)

And a great sci-fi animated series for any age!
Samurai Jack

:)

Obviously there are more, this is just of the top of my head...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

District 9 (don't recall what it is rated, it does contain exploding people and swearing) I just saw again and still like.. I think Avatar is worth it if you see it in a BIG theater in 3D.

Melbosa

I saw Avatar not in 3D, because I get motion sickness, and still think it is a big deal to see it in the theatre.  Movie just screams big screen when you see it.

Stewie521

Quote from: Melbosa on December 31, 2009, 07:16:22 PM
I saw Avatar not in 3D, because I get motion sickness, and still think it is a big deal to see it in the theatre.  Movie just screams big screen when you see it.

Yeah, it is really nice to see the movie in the theatres. I feel it's a lot better to watch a movie with 1 story tall speakers behind you. But it sucks when you need to go pee during the film. Espcially during Avatar. Holy cow that thing is 2 1/2 hours long!

Mr. Analog

I only like big sound if the engineer has set it so you can hear the whole range of sound. I remember going to North Edmonton Cinema and the audio had virtually no midrange, yuck.

I've stayed away from Avatar mostly because it sounds rather ham-fisted in its retelling of Pocahontas (I've also heard it compared to Dune). For 2 1/2 hours I better get something as good or better than The Lord of the Rings or Seven Samurai :P

Also, speaking about pee... the worst case of "gotta go at the wrong time" was when I went to see Titanic, I had ordered a large Coke and literally as soon as the iceberg struck the ship I had that feeling...

I knew from that point there was an hour left in the film but so much cool stuff was finally happening I didn't want to go. Suffice to say when the credits hit I raced to the can, in the nick of time too.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Stewie521 on February 06, 2010, 10:06:42 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on December 31, 2009, 07:16:22 PM

Yeah, it is really nice to see the movie in the theatres. I feel it's a lot better to watch a movie with 1 story tall speakers behind you. But it sucks when you need to go pee during the film. Espcially during Avatar. Holy cow that thing is 2 1/2 hours long!
I find I prefer my setup at home. The surround is fairly well balanced, the bass isn't too ham-fisted, and plenty of mid and high range. That and I have a pause button. I also don't have to worry about being embarrassed about laughing too loud ;D (or some other such outburst).

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 06, 2010, 10:53:44 PM
I only like big sound if the engineer has set it so you can hear the whole range of sound. I remember going to North Edmonton Cinema and the audio had virtually no midrange, yuck.

I've stayed away from Avatar mostly because it sounds rather ham-fisted in its retelling of Pocahontas (I've also heard it compared to Dune). For 2 1/2 hours I better get something as good or better than The Lord of the Rings or Seven Samurai :P

Also, speaking about pee... the worst case of "gotta go at the wrong time" was when I went to see Titanic, I had ordered a large Coke and literally as soon as the iceberg struck the ship I had that feeling...

I knew from that point there was an hour left in the film but so much cool stuff was finally happening I didn't want to go. Suffice to say when the credits hit I raced to the can, in the nick of time too.
Whats worse is when you had dinner just before the movie and sucked down several glasses of pop (or beer), then had a large pop (or extra large, whatever they call it) at the theatre.. And finally by the end you literally have to run, and are stuck waiting a couple minutes waiting for it to finish... Like those jokes you see on tv or in movies about the same thing, you might think you're just about done, but nope, still more! ;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 06, 2010, 10:53:44 PM

I recommend you see this movie, it's an experience.  Sure, the plot's been done before, but how many movies these days have a completely fresh approach and plot?  Even Matrix had a whole bunch of prior art in the cyberpunk science-fiction/science-fantasy genre of books.  Hell, "The Matrix" was the name for a 3D virtual experience that allowed you to interact with computers as if it were a real world in the Shadowrun rulebooks, back in the mid 80s.  So the name isn't even original.

All that being said, I found the story clipped along at a decent pace, the story was compelling enough to keep me watching in rapt attention, the sci-fi nature of the film appealed to my inner geek, and the visuals of this abundantly detailed world were beautiful.

Of course if you've been reading reviews, the hardest part will be walking through the theater doors without any preconceived notions in your noggin.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

That's the killer right there, I knew all about this movie months before it came out, the internet buzz machine was in full swing. From what I can tell the core of the film is, yet again, critical of Western history/society and (based on reviews I've read from other sci-fi geeks) paints the story with the delicacy of a mop. But it looks pretty so people give it a free ride.

:shrug:
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Really, is there much out there that hasn't been told already on the big screen?  At least for what the masses would enjoy?

Avatar is a feel good movie, and as Thorin says, well done all around.  It may be a re-done story (not a remake like so many other movies), but it is done with superb visuals, acting and pace.  So it makes the movie come alive and engross you from beginning to end.

The Titanic was a retold story.  The Dark Night was a retold story.  Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter being based from a book are a retold stories.  In the top 10, the only Original Movies would be the Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Wars.

Really, IMO, it doesn't matter if the story is a remake, retell, rework or original.  If it is done well, entertains me, and I feel I get my money's worth, then it is a good movie to me.

And so like Thorin, I urge all of you to see this movie.  It is one that deserves Big Screen viewing, whether you have that fantastic home theatre experience or not.

My only regret is that I cannot watch this in 3D, as I hear the movie was filmed with that in mind from the beginning.

Tom

All I've heard about it says it was ham fisted. And WASN'T "well done all around".

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on February 07, 2010, 01:57:49 PM
All I've heard about it says it was ham fisted. And WASN'T "well done all around".

Hmm, that word "all" implies that, well, you have not heard anyone say it was anything other than ham-fisted.  Yet here are two people, friends even, who have actually gone and seen it and who are actually saying it was a very enjoyable experience.

Now if you were to say "all critics" or "all people except you two", that'd be different.  But here we are, saying that we liked it and think you will too, and you're discounting what we're saying.

Nevertheless, everyone likes something different and even on movies we never always agree.  For example, everyone on this forum really talked up Watchmen.  I didn't enjoy watching Watchmen, even though I could see the brilliance of the film - I just wasn't entertained by it.  The same might happen for you with Avatar.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 07, 2010, 03:23:42 PM
Quote from: Tom on February 07, 2010, 01:57:49 PM

Hmm, that word "all" implies that, well, you have not heard anyone say it was anything other than ham-fisted.  Yet here are two people, friends even, who have actually gone and seen it and who are actually saying it was a very enjoyable experience.

Now if you were to say "all critics" or "all people except you two", that'd be different.  But here we are, saying that we liked it and think you will too, and you're discounting what we're saying.

Nevertheless, everyone likes something different and even on movies we never always agree.  For example, everyone on this forum really talked up Watchmen.  I didn't enjoy watching Watchmen, even though I could see the brilliance of the film - I just wasn't entertained by it.  The same might happen for you with Avatar.
I should rephrase "All I'd heard so far". Sure some people say its ok as a typical block buster, but still ham fisted. I'm not saying I won't watch it, but it probably wont happen till its out on DVD. I so rarely go to see movies, I generally don't even go to see the ones I really want to watch.