DHH is right, nothing is ever enough for some people

Started by Darren Dirt, April 21, 2024, 12:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

https://world.hey.com/dhh/forcing-master-to-main-was-a-good-faith-exploit-b21ee30c
QuoteI never actually cared whether we call it master or main. So when the racialized claims started over how calling the default branch in Git repositories "master" was PrObLEmAtIC, I thought, fine, what skin is it off anyone's or my back to change? If this is really important, can make a real difference, great. Let's do it.

How naive.

This was a classic exploit of good faith, and I fell for it.

Changing master to main changed less than nothing. Because nothing was or is ever enough in this arena...

So now, the words "blacklist" and "whitelist" are too racist for the University of Washington. And "grandfathering" is too sexist. 🥴

https://itconnect.uw.edu/guides-by-topic/identity-diversity-inclusion/inclusive-language-guide/

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

"grandfathering" isn't sexist, it's named after a systemic racist attempt to keep freed slaves from voting. It's inherently racist.

Your link to UW's inclusive language guide has explanations for each word / category they're addressing. I read them to make sure there's no "gotchas" listed that might come back at me, now I can confidently say I agree with all their decisions in their guide. Hell, they even offer a whole bunch of references to learn more from.

Meanwhile the only argument against is some guy who was good at driving a car and writing code, who apparently doesn't bother studying what he's complaining about before complaining about it, and his argument is really only that he didn't like being inconvenienced for what in his unstudied perception didn't make a difference. It doesn't help that he's an anti-DEI heading down the far right rich guy asshole pipeline.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful