Main Menu

World Map

Started by Lazybones, March 17, 2012, 12:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Here is a map I put together by running http://journeymap.techbrew.net/ and then using the layers in paint.net to draw some simple lines and notes.

Mr. Analog

Wow! That's great man!

Mel, looking at the map you may have crossed over my mine.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Note the color lines are placed by me as my interpretation of the tunnels.

I think Mel did mention that making the north south tunnel he crossed several mines. The idea was to create a safer path down to the beach where I am.

Tom

I'm planning on setting up a minecraft map that uses google maps. Unless those tools have gotten a lot fancier lately, they won't include things like your subways though. At least not without some custom layers.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

A server side map would be nice, however client side I think I will keep using journeymap because it does do a decent job of mapping the lower layers. That and it clearly shows what you have
Personally explored as a player, and you can run it in a browser in a second window.

A server side map we can label with points of interest and maybe mark territory with would be really nice.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Now to make a D&D adventure based on this map :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on March 17, 2012, 01:33:12 PM
Now to make a D&D adventure based on this map :)

Well the world is already populated with wondering monsters.

Problem is the map changes frequently, or constantly expands.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on March 17, 2012, 10:58:40 AM
I'm planning on setting up a minecraft map that uses google maps. Unless those tools have gotten a lot fancier lately, they won't include things like your subways though. At least not without some custom layers.

I think you are talking about this one http://docs.overviewer.org/en/latest/index.html

Tom

I don't recall it being called overviewer. It was really just a script you ran on the world dir, and it generated tiles for a google maps widget to read.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on March 18, 2012, 04:20:38 PM
I don't recall it being called overviewer. It was really just a script you ran on the world dir, and it generated tiles for a google maps widget to read.

Did you read the link? That is exactly what this one does.

Also of note this one works with the current version on our server, a fair number of the mods and mapping tools seem to fall out of date and support.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on March 18, 2012, 04:48:00 PM
Quote from: Tom on March 18, 2012, 04:20:38 PM

Did you read the link? That is exactly what this one does.

Also of note this one works with the current version on our server, a fair number of the mods and mapping tools seem to fall out of date and support.
Given the screenshot on the front page that is definitely not what I was using ;)

though the example map is more or less similar.

Lazybones

Here is the link to the wiki list of other mappers http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_editors/Mapping#Mappers
I know I put that in the original thread as well but it looks like only a hand full of these tools have kept up with the latest releases for compatibility.

Thorin

I wonder if any of them show a really nice 3d underground map like we always see in the movies?

Damn, I'm already sitting here working out the details for a mapper in my head.  The concept of generating 3d maps that are useful while you're exploring really intrigues me.  Just what I need, another project to occupy my time!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on March 19, 2012, 12:18:09 PM
I wonder if any of them show a really nice 3d underground map like we always see in the movies?

Damn, I'm already sitting here working out the details for a mapper in my head.  The concept of generating 3d maps that are useful while you're exploring really intrigues me.  Just what I need, another project to occupy my time!

JournyMap represents tunnels as a 2D over head view basically combining a depth of what appears to be about 3-5 units as one, so taking a screen shot of it depends on how deep your character is when it is taken. I haven't seen any mappers that try and make a 3d representation of the underground areas.