Railroad Stations

Started by Thorin, April 15, 2012, 01:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

I store 4 or 5 it really depends what you expect the distribution of travelers to be.

You need to leave capacity to store carts as well from other stations.

Thorin

So about 30 hours in single player designing, 5 hours in multiplayer gathering materials, and 5 hours in multiplayer building it just right, and I've built a new spur station with the zig-zag dispenser.  Five creeper explosions (apparently if there's two empty blocks and then a fence in a third block, they still go off on you!), and rebuilding from that.

Then my carts in the dispenser MOVE THROUGH SOLID @%&#ING BLOCKS.  Seriously, if they're on a power rail running north-south, they move to the east on their own and PUSH THROUGH THE SOLID BLOCK THERE.  So two @%&#ing physics problems right there: 1. IT'S A SOLID @%&#ING BLOCK, the cart shouldn't be able to enter its space!  2. The cart is moving 90 degrees to the direction the power rail is pointing!

<sigh>

So much for any kind of nice dispenser other than a pez, and even there I'll need an access door to fix cart glitches.

Maybe I'll just skip the dispensers and provide a chest with carts.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I can't tell you how many times I've pushed a cart inside a block and had to punch it out (by destroying the block!)

It's one REALLY frustrating aspect of minecarts they need to fix...

Also, that's a lot of creepers, time to build some mob traps :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, I wasn't pushing the cart it was just sitting on powered rail.  And then moved sideways off the powered rail.  There wasn't even another cart pushing it, it was the one furthest back.

I'm thinking a chest with five carts in it is _way_ less stress than trying to get a good cart dispenser working in SMP.  Maybe it's time to play with dispensers.  Although those need to be loaded manually, so someone still has to put the carts in, unlike pez dispensers and the like, which auto-load themselves.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

The vertical pez is fairly reliable.. I was hoping one of your new designs would be better but this explains why vertical is the most common.