Railroad Stations

Started by Thorin, April 15, 2012, 01:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I think it's time to start diagramming the lines/stations

The main ring line is already defined as the A line though it isn't marked at all stations.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Absolutely.  One of those stylized subway maps would be cool.  Would we post it here somewhere?

Here's what I know for names regarding the rails:

UTA A Line
stations in clockwise order
- Spawn Station
- Biome Station
- possible new stop for TMC connector?
- Beach Station
- not a stop but a door along the route?
- Pineview Station

US Rail Main Line
- Pineview Station
- Southern Junction

US Rail Jungle Express
- Southern Junction
- Jungle Station

US Rail Frontier Line
- Southern Junction
- Frontier Station

TMC Dungeness Connector (that's my first suggestion, Tom'll wanna pick a name)
- connector to UTA A Line?
- need name for the other end by the mine?

And then there's Lenny's nether railway.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I highly suggest we go with letter designations so I can diagram it properly
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Genuinely curious here, how does having a letter designation instead of a name make it easier to diagram (other than the labels requiring less text)?  Won't you still use different colours / line styles for the different lines?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Make sure all stations are at standard depth.

Set out the x,y, z boundary to the system.

Have Tom run another layer with Overviewer with these limits...

Instant transit map..

O don't forget the signs/

;)

Mr. Analog

1. Because not everyone sees colours :P
2. Where multiple lines intersect at stations it simplifies signage
3. Line names may get confused with Station/Terminal names

I think giving directions may be easier too:
Go to Spawn Station, take the A to Pineview then take the B south.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Two and a half weeks ago, I never would have imagined I'd be discussing proper labeling for instructions for a transit system in a game :)

Your reasons make sense.  So stations will still have names, but the railways will be alpha-enumerated.  I would suggest:

UTA has the A Line.  TMC's Dungeness Connector is named the B Line.  US Rail's Main Line is named the C Line, Frontier Line is named the D Line, Jungle Express is named the E Line.

Stations along the A Line are: Spawn, Biome, Dungeness*, Beach, Pineview
Stations along the B Line are: Dungeness*, Kent Mine*
Stations along the C Line are: Pineview, Southern Junction
Stations along the D Line are: Southern Junction, Frontier
Stations along the E Line are: Southern Junction, Jungle

*unless Tom wants something different, I'm just making up names for him at this point

And remember to keep the source files so that if / when we change names of stations we can get it altered easily :)

Hmm, I'm gonna have to expand my existing lines to have more stations...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

I personally would like to see more consistent stations, with auto / semi auto cart management along with direction of travel choice..

if we can come up with an even better design and update all major stations I am sure it would be easier for users.

Tom

I have a hard time coming up with (good) names for things. What's this about "Kent mine" though?

Also, shouldn't the whole main loop be the A line?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on April 16, 2012, 02:15:42 PM
I have a hard time coming up with (good) names for things. What's this about "Kent mine" though?

Dungeness is a place in the UK, located in the county (?) of Kent.  There's a big mine there if I remember correctly.  Hence when I first decided to call it the Dungeness stop, then when I needed a name for the other station by your mine, "Kent Mine" just flowed out :)

I haven't seen your railroad - is it connected to the main loop, or does one have to switch tracks?  That is, does one have to get out of the cart, move to another track, place a cart, and continue on?

Lazy: I thought you had the automated cart management figured out?  One of my problems as a player was that whenever I right-clicked the cart to get out, then when I tried to walk away or jump away the cart would think I was pushing it and it would take off down the track.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on April 16, 2012, 02:45:43 PM
Lazy: I thought you had the automated cart management figured out?  One of my problems as a player was that whenever I right-clicked the cart to get out, then when I tried to walk away or jump away the cart would think I was pushing it and it would take off down the track.

I would love to see how that is possible in my current station design, empty carts should always be collected...

Thorin

Which station should I try out?  I haven't ridden the A line in a little while.  I do recall it happening at both the dip stations and a drop station.

Your underground stations have a little more layout space available than my planned aboveground themed station.  Still, pistons probably would work really well for you.  I'll see if I can get some time in the next two days and build it up so you can see.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Tom on April 16, 2012, 02:15:42 PM

Dungeness is a place in the UK, located in the county (?) of Kent.  There's a big mine there if I remember correctly.  Hence when I first decided to call it the Dungeness stop, then when I needed a name for the other station by your mine, "Kent Mine" just flowed out :)
Ah. If you've noticed kdevil join, his first name is kent I think ;D I was a tad confused.

I haven't seen your railroad - is it connected to the main loop, or does one have to switch tracks?  That is, does one have to get out of the cart, move to another track, place a cart, and continue on?
It's not directly connected no. The main rail stop is just a dip stop. You have to get out, pass through a door, and hop on the TMC line. I'm tempted to connect it directly, but allow you to press one of two buttons for which direction you want to go. But I'll have to figure out something clever for that.

Also, My stations aren't all at the same level. My first stop, is slightly lower than the main loop, and my mine stop is WAY lower (level 14 ish). So I don't think there is anything too clever we can do with the map generation. There might be a way to get it to highlight tracks. But I'd probably have to modify Overviewer a bit to get that to work.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on April 16, 2012, 03:05:15 PM
Which station should I try out?  I haven't ridden the A line in a little while.  I do recall it happening at both the dip stations and a drop station.

Your underground stations have a little more layout space available than my planned aboveground themed station.  Still, pistons probably would work really well for you.  I'll see if I can get some time in the next two days and build it up so you can see.

Slip still happens at the pistons, but it is reduced..

slip is REALLY hard and should never let a cart go at Beach and Biome stations... They are full dispenser, however the dispenser sometimes jams when the server lags, the carts forget to fall...

Mr. Analog

I was about to say the only slippage I've seen are the old school dip stations, Lazy's more complex cart return system works 100%, and I commute several times a session
By Grabthar's Hammer