Started by Tom, May 11, 2012, 09:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 02, 2012, 03:20:03 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 02, 2012, 03:17:13 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 02, 2012, 03:10:47 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 02, 2012, 03:09:28 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 02, 2012, 03:00:10 PM
Argh! Your Tekkit Server is telling me it can't validate my username.

I log into our Minecraft server just fine.

FIXIT!FIXIT!FIXIT!
Hm, it seems to be having a problem connecting to mc.net.. I assumed it was just mc.net being retarded. Let me give the tekkit server a kick.

Could be they seem to change DNS a lot, like I find if I flush dns connectivity works ok.

But why would vanilla minecraft work is what I'm curious about

Ah well, let me know when it's up!
Vanila isn't working ;) its off and on. I can sometimes get it to auth, and sometimes not.

Worked for me, I was logged in and went to my vault.

Ah well, Red Dwarf marathon now!
Yeah, its kinda random when it works and when it doesn't. best you can do is keep trying. though that might be part of whats causing the login issues. the mc.net auth api has always been their week point it seems.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 02, 2012, 03:21:51 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 02, 2012, 03:20:03 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 02, 2012, 03:17:13 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 02, 2012, 03:10:47 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 02, 2012, 03:09:28 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 02, 2012, 03:00:10 PM
Argh! Your Tekkit Server is telling me it can't validate my username.

I log into our Minecraft server just fine.

FIXIT!FIXIT!FIXIT!
Hm, it seems to be having a problem connecting to mc.net.. I assumed it was just mc.net being retarded. Let me give the tekkit server a kick.

Could be they seem to change DNS a lot, like I find if I flush dns connectivity works ok.

But why would vanilla minecraft work is what I'm curious about

Ah well, let me know when it's up!
Vanila isn't working ;) its off and on. I can sometimes get it to auth, and sometimes not.

Worked for me, I was logged in and went to my vault.

Ah well, Red Dwarf marathon now!
Yeah, its kinda random when it works and when it doesn't. best you can do is keep trying. though that might be part of whats causing the login issues. the mc.net auth api has always been their week point it seems.

I guess, but I mean I log into the client before I hit your server. I know there is another auth step after that but yeesh!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 02, 2012, 03:33:31 PM
I guess, but I mean I log into the client before I hit your server. I know there is another auth step after that but yeesh!
I never really understood it myself. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :(

Mr. Analog

By the way, Tekkit is awesome

So I'm thinking about power now, I have been really surprised about how well geothermal worked out. I have to move my pump in the depths of the earth but there are nearby lava pools that fill my needs.

Geothermal ran my Quarry quite efficiently, managed to dig up a whole 64x64 area right down to bedrock, I can already see though that if I want to really get producing I'm going to have to build something more... err powerful!

All the rest of my machines (which admittedly is not much yet) are running off of a few solar cells, again impressed with how well that works!

The only silly thing I have to rebuild is my compressor, it suffered an accident when I was moving it after I built my MFE unit...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

More Tekkit Gush:

Energy Condenser!

I just learnt about this gizmo, it takes anything, converts it into EMC (the relative value of all items in game) and spits out whatever you want.

Got piles of cobble and want diamonds? Hook this baby up to a supply of cobblestone and it will convert it into diamonds automagically.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 03, 2012, 10:47:08 AM
More Tekkit Gush:

Energy Condenser!

I just learnt about this gizmo, it takes anything, converts it into EMC (the relative value of all items in game) and spits out whatever you want.

Got piles of cobble and want diamonds? Hook this baby up to a supply of cobblestone and it will convert it into diamonds automagically.
On sunday I hooked up a couple BC quarries to my main base sorting system via teleport pipes. Used power teleport pipes to use IC2 power, and item teleport pipes to transfer the items back. Have three chests hooked up, one for super valuable stuff like diamonds, gems and redstone, another for ores, and another for misc stuff. And hanging off the misc stuff chest is a RP2 retriever that fetches the cobble, dirt, sand and gravel and pumps it into a EE Energy Condenser! I made 4 diamonds out of the junk from three small holes to bedrock (1 was 13x13 or so, two are 16x16).

One word of caution,  a quarry running off IC2 power using the energy link is incredibly draining. It took nearly 10,000,000 EU (my entire MFSU) to power those two quarries. and it didn't look like only running one at a time made any difference. I think the energy link was using up 74EU/t. Which is /a lot/.

My next step is to tap the glorious oil patches I found early on. setup some remote refineries and transfer the fuel back to my base.

I also found out how much wind farms suck. Mine really aren't getting me that much power over all, and they lag the crap out of the game when I'm at my base :( even though they are /way/ up in the sky.

Melbosa

Wow... guess Minecraft Vanilla isn't going to get as much luv from you guys with these coming projects :D
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Either that or they're going to stop sleeping altogether.  Even with all his Tekkit building, Mr. Analog's still got an impressive set-up at Edge City.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on July 03, 2012, 02:38:37 PM
Wow... guess Minecraft Vanilla isn't going to get as much luv from you guys with these coming projects :D

Well, it notches things up to the next level, there's a steep curve to getting started but once you sort of get comfortably set up (as I am now) you can increase what you're doing geometrically.

The down side of course is in Tekkit you spend a lot more time building things, so while in Minecraft you wander around looking for stuff you spend a lot more time in Tekkit in a room putting stuff together.

Being short of a specific resource really kills things sometimes as well. When I started it took AGES to find redstone, now that I can Equivalent Exchange for it I've found a lot more (figures).

One thing that is sort of annoying is if a chunk unloads whatever was happening there stops, so you can't pump oil or lava long distances, which kind of sucks.

Also water appears to be finite, which is somewhat annoying.

Tom! You should try setting up a wind farm on the mountaintop behind my house, I assume the wind sound effect means they'll spin faster.

Quote from: Thorin on July 03, 2012, 02:43:52 PM
Either that or they're going to stop sleeping altogether.  Even with all his Tekkit building, Mr. Analog's still got an impressive set-up at Edge City.

Oh yes, I took a few more pictures the other day with the water shader mod, I should post them!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 03, 2012, 02:53:02 PM

Well, it notches things up to the next level, there's a steep curve to getting started but once you sort of get comfortably set up (as I am now) you can increase what you're doing geometrically.

The down side of course is in Tekkit you spend a lot more time building things, so while in Minecraft you wander around looking for stuff you spend a lot more time in Tekkit in a room putting stuff together.

Being short of a specific resource really kills things sometimes as well. When I started it took AGES to find redstone, now that I can Equivalent Exchange for it I've found a lot more (figures).

One thing that is sort of annoying is if a chunk unloads whatever was happening there stops, so you can't pump oil or lava long distances, which kind of sucks.

I think you need to be a little clever when using the pump. it is possible to get it working right.. But I do think in normal circumstances it pumps water source blocks, and it may do so fast enough that they don't want to repopulate.

I have seen setups where they've used a largeish pool for infinite water... I can't remember any specific videos though ;D

Tom! You should try setting up a wind farm on the mountaintop behind my house, I assume the wind sound effect means they'll spin faster.
I have mine up at 90-100. They are plenty high, and the wind is constant up there, but wind farms are just generally unreliable. I think from the 8 I installed, I'm getting 5IU/t. I haven't measured what it gets long term, it may be more...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 03, 2012, 03:12:40 PM

I think you need to be a little clever when using the pump. it is possible to get it working right.. But I do think in normal circumstances it pumps water source blocks, and it may do so fast enough that they don't want to repopulate.

I have seen setups where they've used a largeish pool for infinite water... I can't remember any specific videos though ;D

I have mine up at 90-100. They are plenty high, and the wind is constant up there, but wind farms are just generally unreliable. I think from the 8 I installed, I'm getting 5IU/t. I haven't measured what it gets long term, it may be more...

I'd be interested because I can already see water becoming quite valuable.

I'm quite impressed with solar actually, apparently you can build higher voltages too.

I know I have to build a lot more solar panels and maybe hook the input from those to my MFE rather than the batbox and just power everything off that (once I build some transformers that is heh)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 03, 2012, 03:19:56 PM
I'm quite impressed with solar actually, apparently you can build higher voltages too.

I know I have to build a lot more solar panels and maybe hook the input from those to my MFE rather than the batbox and just power everything off that (once I build some transformers that is heh)
Making solar arrays is quite expensive. A single solar panel is quite expensive as you've probably learned. The first step up from that, is a LV Solar Array, which takes 8 solar pannels, and a LV Transformer. The next step up is a MV Solar Array which takes 8 LV Solar arrays and a MV transformer. And the HV Solar array is 8 MV solar arrays... You get the picture. They are incredibly expensive.

After messing with my quarries on sunday/monday I built a couple more LV Solar arrays. and man I went broke pretty quickly. Nearly all of the iron I got from an entire quarry run and then some, was eaten up. I'm up to 56 EU/t on solar now though. 7 LV Solar arrays. one more and I get a MV! Looks like my MFSU is full already \o/

One thing to note, the main reason LV solar arrays even exist is because plain solar pannels cause lag if you have a lot of them. so if you have 8 or more, its probably a good idea to make a LV Solar Array.

Tom

I forgot to mention, but look up the world-anchor/chunk-loader blocks. They can help keep things going.

Mr. Analog

That's cool!

Yeah, they are expensive no doubt, but so far they seem to be pretty good power sources (better than wind or waterwheel at least!)

At least in the daytime :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 03, 2012, 03:40:32 PM
That's cool!

Yeah, they are expensive no doubt, but so far they seem to be pretty good power sources (better than wind or waterwheel at least!)

At least in the daytime :)
I really do like the solar panels. I'm about to go setup a refinery though. after I get a big fullsized quarry going.

I'm curious as to how exactly you powered your full size quarry?