Main Menu

Mob Grinder

Started by Thorin, May 22, 2012, 10:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Mob Grinder - where it is?

It takes _way_ too long to level up by just wandering around since mobs don't spawn during the day.  Although I suppose I could just go underground and not light it up enough...  Everything's better in a mine, it seems.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Huh... how about that... everything is better in a mine in Minecraft... huh
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

We don't have a lvl grinder that I know of (IE weakens mobs to kill for XP) but there is a loot grinder near the spawn city bridge where you can collect lots of mob drops.

Mr. Analog

Best place to lvl grind is here:
http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-25/64/-375/max/0/0

Bring a bow and plenty of arrows and go to town. You can snipe from the tower and you only have to worry about spiders. I've gone up at least 5 levels in one night there.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Err, what's the diff between a level grinder and a loot grinder?  Does the loot grinder kill them all the way?

I'm thinking of digging out a room, putting a raised dais in the middle, and only lighting it with redstone torches.  That oughta get all the monsters to spawn next to me, hey?  Maybe a dais is bad, maybe I need a three-block tower.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on May 22, 2012, 11:22:46 AM
Err, what's the diff between a level grinder and a loot grinder?  Does the loot grinder kill them all the way?

I'm thinking of digging out a room, putting a raised dais in the middle, and only lighting it with redstone torches.  That oughta get all the monsters to spawn next to me, hey?  Maybe a dais is bad, maybe I need a three-block tower.

If mobs are killed by environmental damage they drop no experience orbs

If you put a hit on them after environmental damage they will drop xp

I don't know if you want to trap yourself, you could go into the nether and follow the murder brick road to the stronghold and fight all the Blazes you want lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on May 22, 2012, 11:22:46 AM

Yes, a basic grinder just kills the mobs due to environment damage then collects the loot in a spot... You just stand their and fill up on arrows meat etc.
An XP grinder hurts the mobs then lets you kill them usually though a small opening in one or two shots, allowing you to collect XP.

Thorin

Ah yes, I suppose the loot grinder is for collecting arrows and bones (seriously, what use is there for rotten flesh what with everyone having a wheat farm?).

Here's my thought for a level grinder:

11x11x4 underground room, no torches
one side has a door in it
behind the door is a hallway one block wide, three blocks wide, full of torches (so no spawn
in the hallway is a pressure plate that opens the door
Go stand on the pressure plate, wait for mobs to spawn, battle them one or two at a time in the hallway, if you get too hurt back up off the pressure plate and they should stop coming.

Although I suppose once they're on your side of the door they're stepping on the pressure plate.

I guess another way to do it is have the hallway, have a single fence instead of the door, and then you can attack them over the fence without them overrunning you.  Hmm, although creepers will destroy that.  Maybe there needs to be water.

Damn, brain juices are flowing again!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Why not make it taller so some mobs take fall damage? (they can spawn in the air)

You could also build it so that there's a wall with a gap at the bottom and attack the enemies' feet or a ladder to a high vantage point made from slabs where you can snipe with arrows.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

There are a lot of xp grinders about. Might be worth taking a look at some on youtube.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on May 22, 2012, 12:25:50 PM
(seriously, what use is there for rotten flesh what with everyone having a wheat farm?).

cheap dog food, or emergency food if you have run out

Thorin

But dogs don't need food once you've tamed them, do you?  I guess to breed them...

And I dunno know about you but I don't leave home without an entire stack of bread.  Even after 8 hours of Minecrafting, I still have some left.  Maybe I should trade you some bread, since I have two separate wheat fields now :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on May 22, 2012, 02:56:49 PM
But dogs don't need food once you've tamed them, do you?  I guess to breed them...

And I dunno know about you but I don't leave home without an entire stack of bread.  Even after 8 hours of Minecrafting, I still have some left.  Maybe I should trade you some bread, since I have two separate wheat fields now :)
They can get hurt, and will need food eventually if they are protecting you.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on May 22, 2012, 03:00:37 PM
Quote from: Thorin on May 22, 2012, 02:56:49 PM
But dogs don't need food once you've tamed them, do you?
They can get hurt, and will need food eventually if they are protecting you.

Correct, if you are using them for combat they lose health (indicated by their tail angle) and you can heal them with food... They can eat raw food just fine. As you pointed out it can also be used for breeding.

Thorin

I did not know about them taking damage during combat and the tail angle indicating what they're at health-wise.  Good thing that even though I saw no use for the rotten flesh, I still hoarded it obsessively like everything else in the game :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful