NBC stops even trying anymore

Started by Darren Dirt, May 23, 2012, 03:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 23, 2012, 03:47:21 PM
Sure, let the high concept and talented cast/crew get my hopes up just like Alcatraz did... TV, at your heart I stab.

I remember not so long ago you were saying you don't watch TV anymore.  Has that changed?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Hah, same post as me

I'm pretty sure Darren watches TV in disconnected metaphor format only

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!!

(translated: WTF doesn't he get this?!)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Wuh oh, maybe NBC will find this thread...

TONIGHT on "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" Darmok finds Jalad's been cheating... *canned laughter*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on May 23, 2012, 04:05:30 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 23, 2012, 03:47:21 PM
Sure, let the high concept and talented cast/crew get my hopes up just like Alcatraz did... TV, at your heart I stab.

I remember not so long ago you were saying you don't watch TV anymore.  Has that changed?

couchtuner is a decent streaming site I found last summer, it's still up and has a ton of shows with almost instant viewability for when I've got a half hour to kill and I don't feel like cleaning or doing anything productive... Only gave a handful of "new" shows a try last fall, Person Of Interest and New Girl are renewed, Alacatraz isn't. That's all I invested any time in. Still happy I don't have "click-click-click" channel surfing ability, so way less of a timesink than if I actually had cable.

But just like films I'm only interested in shows that seem to be offering an engaging character-driven experience that I can go along for the ride on, not just popcorn fluff that gives a paycheck to Jeffrey Tambor or Anne Heche. So, no conflict in me pre-judging the soon-coming NBC potential failures ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Y'know it's kinda funny but I've never used tv like that, my dad is a channel surfer but I've always targeted something. Not to say I haven't channel surfed ever (that's how I inadvertently discovered Little Britain), it's just not the norm, so I rarely see it as a problem I guess.

I guess when I get bored though the patterns are the same no matter the tech, can't concentrate on one thing so open a thousand browser tabs, shuffle songs every 2 minutes, etc...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 23, 2012, 04:23:23 PM
I guess when I get bored though the patterns are the same no matter the tech, can't concentrate on one thing so open a thousand browser tabs

Like right now? :)

I used to get stuck watching TV and channel-surfing (especially waiting until midnight for The Daily Show).  Now I get stuck digging holes and designing railroad stations.  Same basic behaviour, different medium.  Neither help make the world better, both are intended only to entertain me.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 23, 2012, 04:23:23 PM
Y'know it's kinda funny but I've never used tv like that, my dad is a channel surfer but I've always targeted something. Not to say I haven't channel surfed ever (that's how I inadvertently discovered Little Britain), it's just not the norm, so I rarely see it as a problem I guess.

I guess when I get bored though the patterns are the same no matter the tech, can't concentrate on one thing so open a thousand browser tabs, shuffle songs every 2 minutes, etc...

In theory with PVRs I could also not be "that guy" anymore. Cuz it's commercials that would get me, even if I muted them (and laughed at how stupid most of them were without the manipulated musical score and idiotic voiceovers) I would soon find a second channel to flip back-and-forth between (sometimes a Discovery or TLC show, maybe so I could justify this ADD behavior with "but I iz learningating stuff!") ... with internet TV streaming I do exactly what you do Mr. Analog, I choose the show, watch an episode (or three) then close the Chrome window, and return to normal RL responsibilities. "TV the way it's meant to be" ;)

I doubt I'd have the same self-restraint with a big-hard-drive PVR though  ::)

Quote from: Thorin on May 23, 2012, 04:27:42 PM
Neither help make the world better, both are intended only to entertain me.
which is perfectly fine. in moderation. I keep reminding myself... Getting better over the years though -- I am certainly not jumping on board every "new" show or whatnot, most definitely NOT a typical consumer target demographic now (nor was I ever).

Thorin

My recently-viewed shows have been older ones that I downloaded - Tour Of Duty, Space: Above & Beyond, stuff like that.  Although I've just been less interested in tv as there's too much advertisement on it and I'm just not interested in letting myself get bombarded by all those ads.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I'm finding now that I'm getting further away from depression I can concentrate more, like I can sit for hours playing a game or doing some art without tabbing out and distracting myself.

Same with TV, I actually watch some shows when they air (weird, I know)

The whole self-distraction thing is like a crutch, "well I didn't finish this kick-awesome art because I tabbed out and farted around for 2 hours" but really what's happening is: "I feel totally self conscious/anxious/depressed so I need an excuse for why this (activity) is giving me no joy"
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 23, 2012, 04:31:00 PM
it's commercials that would get me, even if I muted them (and laughed at how stupid most of them were without the manipulated musical score and idiotic voiceovers) I would soon find a second channel to flip back-and-forth between

Quote from: Thorin on May 23, 2012, 04:32:46 PM
I've just been less interested in tv as there's too much advertisement on it and I'm just not interested in letting myself get bombarded by all those ads.

Looks like we agree on something.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I think they should go back to the old school format where you got an actual 22+ minutes of show

I also hate how a show starts coming to a close and the commercial frequency increases. This is why people don't watch tv, it's ANNOYING as hell
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 23, 2012, 04:39:58 PM
I also hate how a show starts coming to a close and the commercial frequency increases. This is why people don't watch tv, it's ANNOYING as hell

This is exactly why I love couchtuner -- unlike other streaming sites, almost every feed is virtually instant without even a 54321 countdown and then an extra click, and 90% of the time a fullscreen viewing is equal (or even better) than normal non-HD tv viewing of my past years, all without any commercial interruptions... like Netflix, but with decent selection :) ... and like you pointed out, often the >60 minutes "screen"watching is revealing of something not being addressed in the heart or mind. We're all growing up and realizing that RL is actually pretty damn AWESOME compared to the bube toob. What "really matters" really is what matters  ;D

Mr. Analog

We're growing up?

I put things into two camps:
-Reality
-Escape

I don't watch TV to connect with reality, and reality isn't always what I fantasize about. It's OKAY to LIKE television or books or video games or whatever, balance it out however you feel.

Personally, I hate the phrase "what really matters" because it implies some things you do or think are frivolous, everything you do has some level of importance. Not all time spent has to be rationalized.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

imo "what really matters" is honesty -- starting with "honesty with self"; I find that now that I've given myself permission to be "real" in that respect, and thus more real with other living human beings around me, I also get "more" out of the pure-escape stuff, a stirring of the emotions, a greater understanding of myself and others, that sort of thing. Not to knock "escape" stuff, I think as you are young you enjoy it just for what it is, as you get older you see all sorts of interconnectedness all over the place and get an extra level of enjoyment out of it too -- but *extra*, the simple pleasure is there too, it's not replaced with curmudgeonesque "wisdom" or something. Sorry for the stream-o-consciousness, it's bedtime for me now and I'm kinda brainfoggy.